Join for free
Page 312 of 370 « First < 212 262 302 310 311 312 313 314 322 362 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 01:05 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Bob, Suzie - Great to hear you are both doing well with the running, even in this absurd heat. Imagine the calories burned off too. Good work as always
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Susan68 ->
At the minute I've got as far as 3 exercise sessions a week for 30 mins each usually early morning. Now I have the exercise bike I try and hop on it for 10 mins here and there at least once a day.

Got a comfy gel seat and some virtual cycling DVD's coming this week so hope to building up my time on that next week and trying aiming to do 5 days a week exercise (on 2 days 30 mins kettlebells, 1 day 30 mins wii fit/yoga, 2 days 30 mins cycling) with a couple of rest days, plus trying to walk round the house and garden as much as I can manage with rollator with leg weights on to help build calf muscles.
Excellent progress, Susan. I was wondering how you were getting along with the bike and leg weights. Are you noticing any difference in your calf strength yet?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

29-07-2019, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I am getting carried away with the leg work, strangely, and the leg work accounted for 61% of the workout. If I'd been told that 6 months ago I would have laughed! It must be the novelty. I've just beaten the total I lifted in May, when I topped the chart in the gym for most weight lifted, and I have 3 or 4 sessions left to go in this month, so I am pleased with that regardless.

Training on Saturday, if the heat hasn't melted me! Have fun, whatever your form of training is.
Tachyon, you're becoming a monster in the gym now! I imagine as well as your fitness levels getting much better, you are getting stronger too and therefore buildin some well-earned muscle to boot. It's not just muscle that will grow and show, it's the more useful addition of being stronger in the bones too - the hips, lower back and knee joints will all benefit from your wonderful willpower and dedication.
Keep at it buddy!
Your leg strength is going fantastically well especially. 120kgs and all those power reps! Good man.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

29-07-2019, 03:59 PM

Hi.
Day two of my new programme and ten different exercises to yesterday’s ‘comeback’. All went well and I left the gym feeling rejuvenated and refreshed. Same format as before then, here we go…

Workout Day 2: Monday 29 July 2019 1hr.10mins.
(All weights in kgs)

DB press, 15° incline bench:
10x24’s (48kg), 8x28’s +3 (56), 6x32’s +2 (64), 4x34’s +1 (68)
*Notice I’ve added the total weight of both dumbbells. I’m rather pleased with the weight I’m pushing solely from the triceps.

Bicep stack curl, standing:
15x15, 10x20 +3, 8x25 +2, 6x30 +1

Triceps pulldown, close grip bar:
15x25, 12x30 +3, 10x35 +2, 6x40 +1

Single arm Low row, alt. arms:
12x60, 12x70 +3, 10x80 +2, 6x90 +1

Fly delt dec:
20x65, 12x80 +3, 10x95 +2, 8x110 +1

Arm curl (machine), alt.:
15x25, 10x30 +3, 8x35 +2, 6x40 +1

LEGS

Extensions (up-down):
25x40, 20x50, 12x60, 10x70, 10x80, 8x90
8x100 +3
15x100 ‘bounce’ reps
10x60, 25x35, 3x100
*A good variety of different methods within the one exercise on this. The ‘bounce’ reps are lifting the full stack of 100kgs to the top of the movement and simply ‘flexing’ the quads by lifting the weight for 2-3 inches each time. A killer! The final three reps which took place after the weight was right down to 35kg was a total shock for the muscles also, which is always a good plan of action.

Adductor:
25x50, 20x55 +3, 12x60 +2, 10x60 +1

Abductor:
25x50, 20x55 +3, 12x60 +2, 10x60 +1

Loved every minute of that despite the pain and torture involved. This routine is going really well. Tomorrow, another variety of exercises to perform including some very heavy incline leg press work. Stay tuned.

Thank you for reading as always
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-07-2019, 03:34 PM

Golly, it's quiet in here... Hope everybody is okay

Continuing with my new programme, here are the exercises I carried out today. Same format as before and as usual, minor adjustments will be made for next week.

Workout #3: Tuesday 30 July 2019 1hr.05mins.
(All weights in kgs)

Smith shoulder press, 60° incline bench:
12x30, 8x35 +3, 6x40 +2, 5x45 +1

Smith flat bench press:
10x50, 8x60 +3, 4x70
*I abandoned this exercise after the second set because it simply doesn’t give me any benefit. I’ve always hated bench pressing sbut to keep the main technique similar I’ll be tweaking this one to a ‘paused’ set method from next week.

Lat pulldown, underarm close grip:
15x35, 10x45 +3, 8x55 +2, 6x60 +1

Standing DB curl, alt. (diagonally across chest, swap over):
8x14 – pause - 8x14
5x16 – pause – 5x16
*Done by standing with a dumbbell and instead of conventionally curling it towards the shoulder it is lifted towards the opposite shoulder instead. The other hand supports the elbow and then a quick swap of the hands to exercise the other arm without pausing. This is effective for the outer biceps more than the front ‘belly’ of the muscle. I’ll add a third set using the 18kg dumbbell from next week.

Barbell curl, standing (paused):
6x25 – pause - 6x25 – pause - 6x25 – pause - 6x25
*A standard fixed bar with 25kg of weight. Holding in the paused position at the top for a couple of seconds, then continue the lift.

Triceps pulldown, standing, reversed underarm grip:
20x10, 12x15 +3, 10x20 +2, 8x25 +1
*A different method which is done by using upturned palms of the hands rather than the usual overhand pushdown. This is very good for the mid-triceps muscles. As this was fairly new to me I found the weight too low and will be increasing each set by 5kg next week.

LEGS

Incline press #1:
20x160, 12x230 +3, 8x270 +3
6x320 +2, +2, +2
*This was like a crash course in leg building. Four very heavy sets with pretty extreme increases in weight in between the sets. Only four quick sets but knackering!

Incline press #2 (paused sets):
20x130 – pause – 15x130 – pause – 12x130 +3, +3
*Going very deep on the paused extras, this ensures the tops of the thighs are especially worked hard.
50x130 ½-way fast reps

Another thoroughly enjoyable but exhausting session. The final workout of the week will be tomorrow which will see the remainder of my standard exercises being done.

Thanks for reading
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 06:25 PM

Hi Floydy, nice to have you back! It's been quiet because of the holidays, I think. Some interesting variants on curls there I'll have to have a go at. I've found I enjoy the cable/pulley weights for curl-type exercises, but the DB sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Today and Saturday just gone went nicely, and today made the 5th session in a row where I have burnt just over 1,000 calories. I'm going to try and make sure future sessions are the same, gods help me.

Thanks to starting to do leg work now, I lifted a total of 590,972kg in July (30% upper body, 20% trunk/core and 50% legs) which is a huge difference when compared to the 91,245kg I lifted in January, when I first started. Slow, steady work has worked out well for me, and playing it safe meant I didn't do anything silly and injure myself in the process! I'm looking forward to next month now.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-07-2019, 07:57 PM

Hi Floydy, nice to have you back! It's been quiet because of the holidays, I think. Some interesting variants on curls there I'll have to have a go at. I've found I enjoy the cable/pulley weights for curl-type exercises, but the DB sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Today and Saturday just gone went nicely, and today made the 5th session in a row where I have burnt just over 1,000 calories. I'm going to try and make sure future sessions are the same, gods help me.

Thanks to starting to do leg work now, I lifted a total of 590,972kg in July (30% upper body, 20% trunk/core and 50% legs) which is a huge difference when compared to the 91,245kg I lifted in January, when I first started. Slow, steady work has worked out well for me, and playing it safe meant I didn't do anything silly and injure myself in the process! I'm looking forward to next month now.
Good to see you still 'pounding the poundage' Tachyon, those figures are hugely impressive. Well done

Yes mate, dumbbells have always been the most effective way to train the arms (plus chest, back, triceps, most areas in fact). There are just so many methods of utilising them; even changing hand positions works different areas of the same muscles and that's what you see in some of bigger bodybuilders who seem to have muscles on top of muscles. It's the variation of using the same weights that does it. But there is also barbell, E-Z bar, olympic bar and the cables too. As you mention, you have been using cable training to your advantage.
They have always been a bugbear with me unfortunately. They are superb to train with effectively but being tall I find that a lot of the apparatus is too 'confined' with the cables being positioned too close together to work well for me. I really only do the high pull bicep curls now with those and even then I can't always get my stance right. I've never been too good at coordination anyway, hating football!

Anyway, keep it going matey. I'm looking forward to yor plans for August. Do you have a programme or 'template' worked out yet, with goals and targets? Might be a good idea?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-08-2019, 12:24 AM

My final workout of the week will take place today (Friday) after a couple of sorely needed rest days. Watch this space this afternoon for all the gory details of my intrepid encounter.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2019, 09:52 AM

I hope you were feeling OK Floydy, and that you just felt like a couple of rest days? Nothing aching I hope? For me, a couple of rest days is always good. There are times I'd like to go to the gym every day, but I find my muscles need time to settle down after a session, so I always have at least one rest day between visits to the gym.

I hadn't considered the problems a tall person might have with the cable/pulley weights, but at 5' 7" tall I'm in the average height range so they always seemed fine for me when I started using them. As you say, there are so many ways to use them with the arms that you can get every muscle going. I noticed they must be giving me some results as my left shoulder isn't as stiff as it used to be, and it has less niggling pain when I use the shoulder press. I normally find it so uncomfortable that I often just do one set of 20x15kg and leave it at that, but yesterday I did five sets. The first three were just single reps, but the last two were consecutive. Another small milestone!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2019, 10:41 AM

I hope you were feeling OK Floydy, and that you just felt like a couple of rest days? Nothing aching I hope? For me, a couple of rest days is always good. There are times I'd like to go to the gym every day, but I find my muscles need time to settle down after a session, so I always have at least one rest day between visits to the gym.

I hadn't considered the problems a tall person might have with the cable/pulley weights, but at 5' 7" tall I'm in the average height range so they always seemed fine for me when I started using them. As you say, there are so many ways to use them with the arms that you can get every muscle going. I noticed they must be giving me some results as my left shoulder isn't as stiff as it used to be, and it has less niggling pain when I use the shoulder press. I normally find it so uncomfortable that I often just do one set of 20x15kg and leave it at that, but yesterday I did five sets. The first three were just single reps, but the last two were consecutive. Another small milestone!
Same here with running Tachyon, there are times when I could go out every day, but by and large I have stuck to my strict rule of running every other day, that is until now.....
Because I no longer do a 'long' run on Sunday's I feel so guilty and so have put an extra Friday five mile run following my Thursday five...I've lost count of the number of runners I know who ran every day and no longer run.

Incidentally, this morning's run went like clockwork, so now I'm winding down..
A restday tomorrow.....
Nice workout yesterday Tachyon, still progressing I see....

Page 312 of 370 « First < 212 262 302 310 311 312 313 314 322 362 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top