Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 11:41 AM

End Of The White Line.

I consider this to be absolutely stupid, white lines are sometimes the only thing you can see on a foggy day. I wonder if this is really a cost cutting exercise wrapped up in some stupid survey of a very few roads where the lines have not bee reinstated?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1213...-highways.html
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 11:48 AM

Re: End Of The White Line.

I agree with you Purwell, probably just anther way to save money! My worry is that too many people don't drive close enough to the kerb and with no white line, to show they are on the wrong side of the road, some drivers will drive too close to the centre, and may cause accidents.
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 12:03 PM

We have reflectors as dividers on the road. So if its raining or foggy, the reflectors send back the beam of the car's headlamps.Works great !
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 12:15 PM

Absolutely bonkers, and dangerous.
The white lines are actually called 'Hazard Lines' and warn of approaching hazards, the longer they become, the more of a hazard you are approaching until an unbroken line indicates a bend or blind spot on the road.

It would be more useful to remove the enormous amount of useless warning signs seen at the side of the roads, especially in urban areas. It has been proved that the average driver can only take in a certain amount of information while driving at thirty miles an hour, therefore most of the information is either ignored or causes distraction.

The large overhead motorway signs for example, they are intended to warn of approaching problems and lane closures, instead they are lit up brightly with how long it will take you to drive to the next exit. Totally useless information and now mostly ignored. How many people take notice of the small illuminated speed limit signs that adorn the central reservation? nobody that I've ever seen, especially when you view the empty motorway ahead for the next three miles without so much as a Tesco bag blowing across. They have probably been left on following an incident yesterday and everyone knows this so ignores them in the future. No wonder it costs so much to build and maintain a stretch of motorway with all the cables, cameras and elaborate overhead signs.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 12:18 PM

I don't think there is any talk of removing all white lines, is there?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 12:52 PM

The length of the lines warns of hazards ahead and are very important when driving at night. There are some stretches of road in rural areas where unless you can see the white lines you have no idea where the road is leading, also when you're dazzled by oncoming traffic you could run off the road.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 12:54 PM

I find white lines invaluable when driving at night as well as in mist and fog somthing we get a lot of where I live .

I find cats eyes very good too but noticed they are not used as much these days.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I find white lines invaluable when driving at night as well as in mist and fog somthing we get a lot of where I live .

I find cats eyes very good too but noticed they are not used as much these days.
I like the cats eyes Meg, but I think that they are used less for cost cutting reasons!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by eyes_of_a_painter ->
We have reflectors as dividers on the road. So if its raining or foggy, the reflectors send back the beam of the car's headlamps.Works great !
We have cat's eyes, are these the same as you refer to?

If so, WE invented them

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	232  
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Meg;822081[B
]I find white lines invaluable when driving at night as well as in mist and fog somthing we get a lot of where I live . [/B]

Absolutely Meg. Moreso in the country lanes where there are no street lights or kerb stones. Sometimes on misty nights I have been unsure where the grass/mud verge ends and the road begins. It's alright for these office bods in London with their well lit roads, they want to try living out in the sticks in winter!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top