Join for free
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 02:41 PM

Reaching 111

The recent news of the demise of Harry Patch and his funeral service today made me think .................. what on earth would it be like to be 100 or 111? Imagine that we might not even be halfway through our lifespan

What on earth would you/we do with another 50 years? Would we be bored? Would we actually want our lives to be over? Would we feel unable to keep up with whatever was happening?

Can you imagine what it would be like?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 02:50 PM

Re: Reaching 111

Quite honestly it doesn't bear thinking about in this day and age. Dear Harry Patch must have wondered what the world had come to in his later years.

What would we do? Well I find that learning new technical things difficult now so I know I would be at a complete loss in later years if I didn't have my the back up of my son's help to fall back on..

If I didn't have my good health I don't think I would like to live that long anyway.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 03:06 PM

I'm with Mags on the health one, as I think we would all be. It would be awful to be old and infirm. I was only thinking this morning, wondering if I'll ever be able to get out of bed and dress without having to rub various parts with various creams etc. :rolleyes:

I'm still hoping it will get better when I "finish"!
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 03:39 PM

If my health was not bad, I would think it a great achievment, but like Mags and Angie, would hate not to be able to look after myself....
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 05:53 PM

Agree with you guys on this!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2009, 08:12 PM

Don't think I want to live to be 100 unless I have my health-all my faculties and am not reliant on anyone-can't see that happening though
Jan
Scotland
Jan is female  Jan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 09:08 AM

Have to agree. Unless I had good health and all my wits I'd rather go a bit sooner.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 11:50 AM

I think the whole issue of euthanasia needs to be opened up for general discussion. I don't necessarily mean on this forum, but people need to be able to talk about it, and their own wishes. It shouldn't be a taboo subject any longer IMO.
Calismum
Scotland
Calismum is female  Calismum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 11:36 PM

I can't imagine what the world would be like 50 years from now. If I think back to when I was young, We had one of the first B&W TV's, a small gramaphone, a washing machine with a wringer, a sewing machine with a treadle, and we used to write letters to keep in touch as the phone was rarely used.

I could never then have imagined huge plasma screen TV's, iPod's, washer/driers, mobile phones - not to mention computers and email.

What will there be in another 50 years?

I do agree the whole life choice/euthanasia debate needs to be looked at. But I'm sur ein 10 years time it'll be no less taboo than some other past debates.
Vicki
Croydon, Surrey
Vicki is female 

09-08-2009, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Quite honestly it doesn't bear thinking about in this day and age. Dear Harry Patch must have wondered what the world had come to in his later years.

What would we do? Well I find that learning new technical things difficult now so I know I would be at a complete loss in later years if I didn't have my the back up of my son's help to fall back on..

If I didn't have my good health I don't think I would like to live that long anyway.
I agree with Mags on this one. I'm relying on my younger husband to care for me in my dotage......

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top