Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 09:02 PM

Re: Sealed instead of vented heating system

Originally Posted by fender ->
Christ, you came over from there as well?........
After, ahem, numerous bans JohnD hated me on GD
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's a vailant (not combi) only 5 years since installation. Some of the radiators are decades old, I'm not really sure how many!
Sounds like your silting is due to the old radiators Annie, it has probably been lurking in them for years. The cheapest idea would be to remove each rad and flush it out with a power jet.
Sometimes flushing the whole system doesn't remove the stubborn sludge residing in the oldest rads which could break away and contaminate the rest of the system....
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
After, ahem, numerous bans JohnD hated me on GD
JohnD - worra plonka he is......
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 09:06 PM

JohnD - worra plonka he is......
Indeedy
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sounds like your silting is due to the old radiators Annie, it has probably been lurking in them for years. The cheapest idea would be to remove each rad and flush it out with a power jet.
Sometimes flushing the whole system doesn't remove the stubborn sludge residing in the oldest rads which could break away and contaminate the rest of the system....
That would take the same time as a flush ogf.
If a reverse flush is carried out, all will be fine. It will also remove any crud in the boiler heat exchanger, which flushing the rads alone would not....
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

18-09-2018, 09:10 PM

If a reverse flush is carried out, all will be fine. It will also remove any crud in the boiler heat exchanger, which flushing the rads alone would not....
Agreed. Personally, partly because I'm capable , I'd take off each rad and flush them through and then the whole system as a matter of course before adding chemicals. But you know that anyway Cheaper than a powerflush and possibly more effective

5 year old boiler should clear easily enough, subject to how much shite has got itself into the seals
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

18-09-2018, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Agreed. Personally, partly because I'm capable , I'd take off each rad and flush them through and then the whole system as a matter of course before adding chemicals. But you know that anyway Cheaper than a powerflush and possibly more effective

5 year old boiler should clear easily enough, subject to how much shite has got itself into the seals
Yep,

That's what I would do if it were my system.
However, if you don't have that capability, you're stuck with paying others to flush it.......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 09:24 PM

Yes, I see where you are coming from Fender, the system is probably already contaminated....However, my system is over forty years old and until recently was working from a back boiler and a header tank in the loft. I always remove a radiator and flush it out when painting a room. Never had a problem with silting. Do you think it could have something to do with it being a single line feed system? The bloke who fitted our new Bosch Combi boiler didn't like fitting it to a SLF system, but we've had it over two years now and it's brilliant....
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

18-09-2018, 09:29 PM

The bloke who fitted our new Bosch Combi boiler didn't like fitting it to a SLF system, but we've had it over two years now and it's brilliant....
Notoriously difficult to balance
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

18-09-2018, 09:29 PM

Yes, I see where you are coming from Fender, the system is probably already contaminated....However, my system is over forty years old and until recently was working from a back boiler and a header tank in the loft. I always remove a radiator and flush it out when painting a room. Never had a problem with silting. Do you think it could have something to do with it being a single line feed system? The bloke who fitted our new Bosch Combi boiler didn't like fitting it to a SLF system, but we've had it over two years now and it's brilliant....
Should not make too much difference mate.
What's probably helped over the years is you flushing the rads whenever you removed them.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top