Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 01:04 PM

Trust

I was sat in the shopping precinct yesterday, waiting for my husband to pick me up. A man approach me, asking if I could watch his son, and look after all their shopping. I of course said yes. I chatted with the young boy and showed him some photos on my phone, asking the boy questions as he viewed. Many years since I was teaching, I suppose it stays with you.
However, would you trust a complete stranger?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 01:08 PM

Re: Trust

It's rather nice that he saw you as a trustworthy person!

I've done it myself, just for a few moments, maybe in a coffee shop...could you please just mind my coat while i pop to get the sugar?...or something similar.

But a child? I'm not sure if I'd do that.
No, on reflection, I wouldn't.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
It's rather nice that he saw you as a trustworthy person!

I've done it myself, just for a few moments, maybe in a coffee shop...could you please just mind my coat while i pop to get the sugar?...or something similar.

But a child? I'm not sure if I'd do that.
No, on reflection, I wouldn't.

Nor me Ruthio, but, I suppose some people don't think straight at Christmas time.
All that rushing around.
The man actually gave me a bar of chocolate, as a thank you.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 01:12 PM

What.....and then face a child molesting/abduction charge.....
Not bloody likely....
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

20-12-2018, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
What.....and then face a child molesting/abduction charge.....
Not bloody likely....
Exactly.
That never crossed my mind at the time.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 01:24 PM

If I still had young kids , never would I have left them someone else.
[no offense Sweetie }
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 01:47 PM

It's sad isn't it , what a world we live in when we feel we can't trust anyone . I wouldn't have left a child with a stranger either , yet so many people ARE trustworthy like SP .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
It's sad isn't it , what a world we live in when we feel we can't trust anyone . I wouldn't have left a child with a stranger either , yet so many people ARE trustworthy like SP .
Yes it is sad that we feel we cannot trust people, but the people to blame are those who destroyed our ability to trust by becoming criminals.....especially when their punishments are not harsh enough!

We know how difficult it is to keep our eyes on children every second, when we are shopping, and I am sure this man believed that Sweetie was a better option than leaving the child on his own for a few minutes.

In hindsight it is easy to blame the parent, as I know I did when Jamie Bulger went missing, but how many of us have taken our eyes off the child, that we are shopping with, for a few seconds?
Many people don't have somebody to go shopping with, or leave their child at home with
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 02:33 PM

It's lovely you looked so trustworthy but I am one who wouldn't leave mine with anyone I didn't know, only time I have had to ask someone to watch one was when I had a GP appointment and the boys were the age I couldn't really take them in for me so I sat them with the receptionist for 5 minutes. TBH I don't think they even noticed I'd gone and I sort of thought the receptionist wouldn't rush off with them.

I have had people ask me to hold dog leads while they go into shops which I've been happy to do but I'd not trust anyone to hold my dogs while I was in a shop either.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Nor me Ruthio, but, I suppose some people don't think straight at Christmas time.
All that rushing around.
Do you think it because it was the boy's father rather than his mother? I mean, would the mother have acted differently?

Anaway, well done SP......

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top