Join for free
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 01:14 PM

New mobile phone delivery scam

Yet another recent scam to rip us off so well worth being aware of. Is there any end to what these 'no-goods' will do to try and get our money?

"A brand new top-of-the-range phone is delivered to your door. The package has your name on it but you don't remember ordering it.

There is another knock at the door and a courier asks for the phone back explaining: "We delivered it by mistake."

Would you hand it over? If you do, it could prove to be an expensive mistake.

It is a scam and yet another way that sophisticated thieves try to rip us off."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49450485
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 01:18 PM

Re: New mobile phone delivery scam

Hardly new. Some arseholes tried this on with me around five-six years ago? I refused the phone when it was delivered so the delivery man took it back with him. Some days later I got a letter from a debt recovery company wanting full payment for the phone and a cancelled phone contract. I had to get in touch with the fraud squad who gave me a crime reference number to get them off my back. As soon as they got the CRN they backed off.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Hardly new. Some arseholes tried this on with me around five-six years ago? I refused the phone when it was delivered so the delivery man took it back with him. Some days later I got a letter from a debt recovery company wanting full payment for the phone and a cancelled phone contract. I had to get in touch with the fraud squad who gave me a crime reference number to get them off my back. As soon as they got the CRN they backed off.
Sorry to hear of your experience with this same scam Judd, good though that you reported it to the fraud squad and obtained a crime number. Others, maybe older or more vulnerable wouldn't have the sense or perhaps knowledge to do that.

Personally I hadn't ever heard of this one and it was titled 'new' in the BBC news item I read, hence my title too. My thinking on this was that any scam is worth knowing about as someone might benefit. Further thought about that is that the title 'new' also relates to the fact it's delivery of a new mobile phone.

It is one of those scams where anyone can get caught out and relies on the recipient to hand the parcel back when requested, nothing unusual in doing that. Many honest people might easily fall for that one without even thinking about it, especially if they knew they hadn't ordered a new phone.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 04:18 PM

Happened to a friend of mine about five years ago, phone delivered with the correct address but the wrong name. Luckily, he refused to sign for it so when the African turned up a bit later, there was no parcel for him.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Sorry to hear of your experience with this same scam Judd, good though that you reported it to the fraud squad and obtained a crime number. Others, maybe older or more vulnerable wouldn't have the sense or perhaps knowledge to do that.

Personally I hadn't ever heard of this one and it was titled 'new' in the BBC news item I read, hence my title too. My thinking on this was that any scam is worth knowing about as someone might benefit. Further thought about that is that the title 'new' also relates to the fact it's delivery of a new mobile phone.

It is one of those scams where anyone can get caught out and relies on the recipient to hand the parcel back when requested, nothing unusual in doing that. Many honest people might easily fall for that one without even thinking about it, especially if they knew they hadn't ordered a new phone.
You've done the right thing bringing it to the attention of posters - I wasn't trying to belittle your post, just the Beeb's assertion that this was a `new` scam.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top