Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 12:40 PM

internet dongle

I had a TP-Link 4**** dongle to link my computer to the internet wirelessly. Recently it kept cutting out which was a pain in the you know where.

However it was easy setup did well up until!!! so just been out and got version 9 and it is so much faster. In Currys there was a box that had been opened and one with the cellophane still on it which is the one I got. The other looked a bit dodgy not having any wrapping around it.
So this has a 3 yr warranty as well so should be ok for a time
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 01:39 PM

Re: internet dongle

Doesn't your ISP supply a router?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 03:31 PM

This is a wireless dongle not a router.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
This is a wireless dongle not a router.
What's a dongle then? In our house a router connects the wifi to the computers.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 04:20 PM

Computers often come without wireless connection capabilities. Then, if you want to connect wirelessly to the router, you have to use what is called (or nicknamed) a wi-fi dongle..

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wi-fi+don...ref=nb_sb_noss
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
What's a dongle then? In our house a router connects the wifi to the computers.
Same here Barry..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

20-01-2020, 06:44 PM

This is my dongle on a stand

of course there are many different types depending on their use. above is for wireless internet connections

below one for data storage

basically a dongle is a general term for a plug in addition to a computer.
Have express a little surprise that as you all use computers you have never heard of the term before
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

20-01-2020, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Computers often come without wireless connection capabilities. Then, if you want to connect wirelessly to the router, you have to use what is called (or nicknamed) a wi-fi dongle..

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wi-fi+don...ref=nb_sb_noss
You surprise me, I thought all modern computers now had wifi capability...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

20-01-2020, 07:26 PM

Barry

These are of 2 types that plug into a computer motherboard. the only issue is if you want to get the latest versions then they may be more expensive depending on type performance etc.

Generally the signal receiver is not as good due to poor aerial Far easier with the one I got which just plugs into a USB port

Those in the picture I doubt would even receive the wireless signal from the next room where my router is

mine sits on top of the computer, straight away a far better position than an aerial on the back of the computerri

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 07:45 PM

Thank goodness I don't have to worry about all that!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top