Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 02:21 PM

Half of UK 10-year-olds own a smartphone

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51358192

According to a report by media regulator Ofcom.

The amount of young phone owners doubled between the ages of nine and 10, which Ofcom dubbed "the age of digital independence".

In addition, 24% of 3 and 4-year-olds had their own tablet, and 15% of them were allowed to take it to bed.
The graph which accompanies the article reveals a startling exponential dependence on digital platforms as children get older, e.g.:

by the time they're 15, 83% own a smartphone, 88% use on-demand services, 71% have a social media profile and most find time to play games for 12 hours a week .....

In addition to the harm that many are doing to themselves, what harm are they doing to the planet when they replace their digital devices every couple of years .....
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 04:26 PM

Re: Half of UK 10-year-olds own a smartphone

IMO Smartphones are evil. They have killed off the art of conversation. No-0ne seems to talk to each other any more. Walk down any high street, Sit in any doctors or dentists waiting room and are people talking to each other? No, most are twiddling on these monstrosities.
I have a mobile phone and it is just that, a phone which can be used in an emergency. There are no games, cameras etc; on it. It is just a phone.
Should young children be carrying them? That is up to their parents. They may feel their child is safer having one but to use it to play games and send messages and pictures to complete strangers then no.
I like to see children playing, running around laughing and having fun instead of seeing them slouching around, head down flicking on a keypad, Headphones on and a non expression look on their faces.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 05:34 PM

I agree but saying that I do have a smart phone. But we cured the non talking, I meet the girls roughly once a month for lunch and a catch up, all phones go in the middle of the table and if anyone reaches for their phone they pay the bill. I turn mine off so there's no temptation.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 07:33 PM

I'm sure all of my Grandkids (14 of them ) have phones. One of them, a 13yr old has an Iphone 11. Unbelievable!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
I'm sure all of my Grandkids (14 of them ) have phones. One of them, a 13yr old has an Iphone 11. Unbelievable!
When she finds out that the new iPhone release 12 date is September 2020 then that's what she'll want for Xmas .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 11:30 AM

Are those recent figures? I read recently that 80% of 12 year olds in Australia have a phone.

There is a ban on mobile phone use in Victorian public schools aimed at curbing distraction. The ban, which would be in place during school hours in state primary and secondary schools, would start in the first term of 2020.

Phones must be kept in school lockers from first bell to last bell unless a child needs to keep a phone for medical reasons or if there is a specific instruction from the teacher that the phones are needed for a classroom activity.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

05-02-2020, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Are those recent figures? I read recently that 80% of 12 year olds in Australia have a phone.
Obviously, you didn't read the article - 83% of 12-15-year-olds own a smartphone .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

by the time they're 15, 83% own a smartphone, 88% use on-demand services, 71% have a social media profile and most find time to play games for 12 hours a week ..

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Obviously, you didn't read the article - 83% of 12-15-year-olds own a smartphone .....
You're quite correct, I read your synopsis. Apparently it was inaccurate.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

06-02-2020, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You're quite correct, I read your synopsis. Apparently it was inaccurate.
Never trust a synopsis - check the link (if provided) .....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top