Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2020, 02:46 PM

Microsoft to Release New Windows 10 Cumulative Updates Today

https://news.softpedia.com/news/micr...y-529400.shtml

In fact, issues with cumulative updates were experienced even in February after Microsoft rolled out last month’s patches, so it remains to be seen if everything goes right in March.
ETA So far, it hasn't .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2020, 09:05 PM

Re: Microsoft to Release New Windows 10 Cumulative Updates Today

Installed about an hour and a half ago. It seems fine so far.

What's in the update..

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...date-kb4540673
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2020, 09:39 PM

It seems that Windows Update has informed me about an update. Fortunately, it includes an exclamation mark icon, as I have set active hours from 0800 to 0200 and stated that I am on a metered connection, so the updates have not been downloaded.

I'll think about updating when I have read more about the consequences. Once bitten and all that! So far, it does seem safe to download, but I'll wait.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 02:01 AM

I presume that is what it is doing now:

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2020.03.11_11h58m57s_001_CN-Microsoft Windows- O-Microsoft Corporation- L-Redmond-.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	11841  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 08:17 AM

I had a pop up message this morning saying that win10 needs to be updated. Oh dear, anything to do with win10 fills me with dread.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I had a pop up message this morning saying that win10 needs to be updated. Oh dear, anything to do with win10 fills me with dread.
For the past couple of days I've been receiving messages telling me that the Windows update will be installed outside of working hours.

I have set my working hours to be from 8am to 2am.

Outside of those hours I leave my computer turned off.

I expect that when Microsoft becomes sufficiently annoyed with me avoiding their updates, they'll send round some hit-men.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
For the past couple of days I've been receiving messages telling me that the Windows update will be installed outside of working hours.

I have set my working hours to be from 8am to 2am.

Outside of those hours I leave my computer turned off.

I expect that when Microsoft becomes sufficiently annoyed with me avoiding their updates, they'll send round some hit-men.
What a good idea JB.

My lap top still gets overheating problems occasionally so I could install the new win10, which will no doubt take longer than it will take to beat the corona virus. That way my laptop will burst into flames taking windows10 with it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Why not just go with the flow?

Mine updates itself quite happily, sometimes it pops up a message asking if I want to restart now or schedule a time otherwise it updates when I turn it off and finishes off when I turn it on next time.

Never had a problem with it. Much ado about nothing.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-03-2020, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Mine updates itself quite happily, sometimes it pops up a message asking if I want to restart now or schedule a time otherwise it updates when I turn it off and finishes off when I turn it on next time.

You're lucky.
I remember when mine was updated some time ago, my desktop was rearranged and missing some icons. I also had problems trying to find some things which had been moved elsewhere.

I wouldn't mind updates as long as I don't have additional work to do putting things right afterwards.

On the other hand, I always update Windows Defender, which I find works well and has never caused me any problems.

Similarly, when my Android phone updates itself, it does it very quickly and without any disruptions.

No doubt, someone will defend Microsoft saying that Windows is much more complicated.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

18-03-2020, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

I think this is a system update rather than just a general update. I can't recall what the message said, I closed it down faster than a spreading virus.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top