Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 01:33 PM

Re: Anyone having internet connection problems?

It's called 'throttling back', it's done to reduce the download speed, and therefore increase the capacity on the network, as more and more people are working from home you'll probably find your speed will drop to allow more users, I have a friend who works for a government department, yesterday they were all given laptops and sent home at 10am, they've set up a new system to work from home if things get much worse. He said they were told to go home and try to 'crash' the system, obviously they want to ensure it will run when they need it. To be honest if it does get much worse then I can see them pulling the plug on internet for joe public, just to keep the country going.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by sparky ->
It's called 'throttling back', it's done to reduce the download speed, and therefore increase the capacity on the network, as more and more people are working from home you'll probably find your speed will drop to allow more users, I have a friend who works for a government department, yesterday they were all given laptops and sent home at 10am, they've set up a new system to work from home if things get much worse. He said they were told to go home and try to 'crash' the system, obviously they want to ensure it will run when they need it. To be honest if it does get much worse then I can see them pulling the plug on internet for joe public, just to keep the country going.
Yes, I suppose that is a possibility.
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, I suppose that is a possibility.
Yes, and imagine how terrible that will be, forget the food shortages and people dying, imagine all those poor kids without access to facebook! My god they may actually have to start speaking to people. lol
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 01:44 PM

Yes, and imagine how terrible that will be, forget the food shortages and people dying, imagine all those poor kids without access to facebook! My god they may actually have to start speaking to people. lol
At a distance obviously. The other day I mentioned to a younger colleague that I remembered the Corona man delivering in the late seventies. He didn't have a clue what I was talking about.
sparky
cheshire

18-03-2020, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
At a distance obviously. The other day I mentioned to a younger colleague that I remembered the Corona man delivering in the late seventies. He didn't have a clue what I was talking about.
love that one, I remember them too, the bottles had little like nobbles on the top bit iirc.
I actually heard the other day that sales of Corona beer had fallen because people didn't like asking for it.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 02:51 PM

My Virgin Media broadband has just gone down.

Thank goodness for 4G.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 04:37 PM

Hi

Just had the Openreach engineer here.

He has solved the problem,

He said that as from Monday they will not be going into peoples houses and will only check the line from the outside.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 04:51 PM

We've just had Netflix go down, must be just too many people using the internet and streaming really eats up the bandwidth I guess...
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 04:57 PM

We might all get throttled but maybe not cut off completely because those relying on online shopping would not be able to order food.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 06:35 PM

Yay!.... Just got my broadband back.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top