Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2020, 10:30 AM

Recycling centres close

All recycling centres (in Manchester, anyway) are now closed in line with the lockdown policy.

One can see the reasoning behind this, although one cannot help but suspect that this will lead to unfortunate unintended consequences, especially as the weather starts to heat up.

Overflowing wheelie bins becoming the norm (we usually went to the tip once every fortnight to take a few bags since the small ones are of insufficient capacity), with the probable increase in bacteria/flies etc and urban foxes. Greater likelihood of fly tipping.

These add to the chance of further pestilence taking place.

As such, since people will be isolated in their cars, and social distancing easily enforced at drive through centres, I think this ought to be reconsidered.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2020, 11:16 AM

Re: Recycling centres close

Our recycle is not being picked up, I think rats will be pleased. I'm putting mine in the refuse bin as it's tall and not easy to access, although I know they're good climbers.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2020, 12:39 PM

It's my green (recycling) bin day today. Let us see if they pick it up this week as they failed to do so last fortnight. Having no response from the council (didn't really expect one), I emptied some of it - tin cans mainly, into the ordinary bin inside a black bin liner. Some of the rest was burned in my incinerator. If they (Kirklees Council) can't be bothered to recycle, why should I be?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2020, 06:11 PM

Just checked on our local council website, and says the Tip is now closed as from this evening, but no mention of no collecting recycling bins though.

The men usually put notices on everyone's bin as they go round if there are to be any changes, so I'll have to wait and see what happens this week.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 04:58 PM

Driving back from shopping this morning and we noticed our local tip/recycling centre is shut.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 05:19 PM

They picked our bins up today! I'm not sure what's going to happen next week though.
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 05:20 PM

here in The New Forest, recycle and household waste bags were collected today, not heard of any collections being stopped as yet
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 05:28 PM

Bins picked up today.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 05:55 PM

Same here,we had our bins picked up yesterday..
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 06:46 PM

All the bins still being collected. I checked with the council and no plans to stop the service yet. Are you sure it didn't mean the recycling centres where you can go and dump bulky items etc?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top