Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 07:16 PM

Re: Recycling centres close

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
All the bins still being collected. I checked with the council and no plans to stop the service yet. Are you sure it didn't mean the recycling centres where you can go and dump bulky items etc?
Sorry, I hadn't made it clear. I was referring to those places where the public can go and get rid of excess rubbish. Our black bin is overflowing, as are some of our neighbours and it'll be a week before these get emptied. Many people mitigate the situation by taking excess waste to the tip. But these are closed to the public.

Given that isolation may well end up by householders doing a vigorous spring clean (partly due to many being worried about them actually surviving this and not wanting to add to the burden of offspring), keeping these sites open seems sensible and manageable.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Sorry, I hadn't made it clear. I was referring to those places where the public can go and get rid of excess rubbish. Our black bin is overflowing, as are some of our neighbours and it'll be a week before these get emptied. Many people mitigate the situation by taking excess waste to the tip. But these are closed to the public.

Given that isolation may well end up by householders doing a vigorous spring clean (partly due to many being worried about them actually surviving this and not wanting to add to the burden of offspring), keeping these sites open seems sensible and manageable.
We will have to disagree on that last point. If nothing else householders should not be attempting a spring clean right now. If the elderly have an accident with vigorous spring cleaning that will divert NHS care from those in most need right now.

I'm not classed as elderly. But I am being extremely careful because the services we had before are totally depleted. I cut my finger the other day and had a minor cut on my foot from stepping on something in the garden. It brought it home.
I spent a day worrying about the cut on my foot because it took two days to heal. I've checked how much TCP there is in the house. It's impossible to get an order for more without leaving the house. There is no TCP on amazon. I do not want to leave the house. We should all be careful.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 11:47 PM

Garden bins not being collected has brought out the pyromaniacs! Stupid people lighting bonfires because they can't stand a bit of mess in their gardens! Lovely for those who can't go anywhere, want to let the kids play, do a bit of gardening, breathe fresh air...
Imagine struggling to breathe with respiratory problems, trying not to go to hospital and having no fresh air just selfish people's smoke.
Makes me cross in normal times but now!!!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 08:49 AM

One of my pet loathings.

All flytippers should be made to clean up other flytippers waste and then scrub the pavement with a tooth brush !

However why on earth have they closed the recycling centres ?

Everyone keeps their distance there anyway .

They could use social distancing .

A short sighted policy IMO

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-pandemic.html
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 08:59 AM

I must agree Muddy, I'm sure the recycling centres could have imposed stricter rules to keep them open, for a huge increase in fly tipping will certainly be one result of them not doing so.

The great problem of course, is that the more people that stay at home the more waste they will generate so yes, as you say, a short sighted policy.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 09:03 AM

I couldn't agree more!! The amount of rubbish that is getting dumped around the country lanes here is reaching viral proportions. Confiscate and crush their vehicles too.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 09:23 AM

I agree it's a time when we are all doing gardening too and clearing out stuff but I suppose they would say stay home..they don't want us in cars doing trips to the tip or lorries on the road transporting to landfill etc...we will just have to store rubbish till we can get rid.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 09:34 AM

Predicted this here https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=67129
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 09:35 AM

Sorry Dex I didn’t see this else would have just added my rant onto your thread
Perhaps the mods can amalgamate.
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 09:44 AM

And there lies the problem, in our area, as I suspect in most others, they've suspended recycling, everything in one bin again, however they're saying they wont take the bin unless the lid closes properly. Most binmen use common sense, but some don't. With more and more people staying at home they're doing jobs they've been putting off, like spring cleaning. Maybe one solution would be to place a couple of large skips on each estate, then empty them when they're full, the last thing we need at the moment is a plague of rats on top of this virus.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top