Join for free
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 12:18 PM

New Scam.

Had text message from the DVLA......
Outstanding vehicle tax refund from over payment is pending visit our secure link to process.
Considering I don't pay car tax this screams SCAM.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 12:22 PM

Re: New Scam.

Originally Posted by rhosyn ->
Had text message from the DVLA......
Outstanding vehicle tax refund from over payment is pending visit our secure link to process.
Considering I don't pay car tax this screams SCAM.
It will be.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 12:35 PM

There's no way they are going to give us our car tax back so yes, it must be a scam. I only pay £30 per year anyway so wouldn't bother even if it was true.

Thanks for the warning Rhosyn
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 12:37 PM

My Scam Of The Week text message yesterday was from HSBC telling me my account had been frozen and to contact them immediately giving me an Email address. Never ever had any dealings with HSBC so it went no further.
Who are these gobshites?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 02:02 PM

My car is zero road tax (or Vehicle Excise Duty) so any refund on that would definitely not be worth having! Despite that though every year I have to apply for my road tax at no cost, under the legal threat that if I do not then I will be subject to the same punishment as would be the case if I had not paid. Work that one out!

It's the 'same old, same old' with these chancers, they send out probably thousands of these 'phishing' communications (scams) in the hope of 'reeling in' the few, who sadly fall for them.

It's the 'same old, same old' way of dealing with them though. If any unsolicited communication is received from any of the 'important' organisations we all know then we should not click on any link. These organisations would definitely also have our postal address, any notifications or refunds would be made using only that method of communication.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 02:20 PM

I've never understood why scam emails can't be intercepted by our ISPs. It can't be difficult, there must be common denominators ie the heading, the sender etc. The ISPs then should have a duty to forward them the the fraud squad whose duty it is to bust the buggers with the big red key at 05:00 am.

Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I've never understood why scam emails can't be intercepted by our ISPs. It can't be difficult, there must be common denominators ie the heading, the sender etc. The ISPs then should have a duty to forward them the the fraud squad whose duty it is to bust the buggers with the big red key at 05:00 am.

Some do this, for instance gmail has a Spam filter that does put some scam e-mails in the Spam folder. This has 'caught' quite a few of those I receive. It does this together with using the Contacts list. Sometimes if a sender's details are not on your Contact list their e-mail is put in the Spam folder, inconvenient but easy enough to see anyway.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 03:00 PM

I've found this: http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/refund-scammers/ while trying to find out more about these email scammers.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 03:21 PM

They wouldn't need bank details as they sen cheques

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top