Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 02:55 PM

Re: Why were UK so slow to stop the planes from Italy?

Originally Posted by Reality1 ->
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-labour-urges

All along our abject government have claimed they are "following the science".
Well now we learn that eugenics fanatic Dominic Cummings is part of the "SAGE science team"
No doubt he concocted the "herd immunity" strategy that BoJo mindlessly repeated on TV. Also the sacrificing of our care home residents, also allowing the planes full of CV19 to come back to London, Manchester, Gatwick etc without any checks whatsoever.
So now we know why our death toll will be the highest in Europe. We are being led by a phsychomaniac who revels in chaos. The UK failures are political and deliberate. God Help Us.
I think you speak from a remainer platform Reality 1!

Donkeyman! 😇😇😇
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Being a cynical SOB it's much more probable that just loading bums on seats will be the objective because once airborne they're going to be someone else's problem.
I can remember that, maybe 30-35yrs ago, most flights I took had the cabin staff come round letting off aerosols during approach to sanitise the cabin and passengers. Whatever happened to that?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I can remember that, maybe 30-35yrs ago, most flights I took had the cabin staff come round letting off aerosols during approach to sanitise the cabin and passengers. Whatever happened to that?
They found out that bacteria and visusses hid themselves effectively in places where there was no air circulating so the aerosols didn't get there. To put it simply: it didn't work.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Reality1 ->
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-labour-urges

All along our abject government have claimed they are "following the science".
Well now we learn that eugenics fanatic Dominic Cummings is part of the "SAGE science team"
No doubt he concocted the "herd immunity" strategy that BoJo mindlessly repeated on TV. Also the sacrificing of our care home residents, also allowing the planes full of CV19 to come back to London, Manchester, Gatwick etc without any checks whatsoever.
So now we know why our death toll will be the highest in Europe. We are being led by a phsychomaniac who revels in chaos. The UK failures are political and deliberate. God Help Us.
They are following the medical science. There is also the science of economy. You can call the advice from cummings abject, but from an economic point of view he is simply correct. To save the lives of a relatively small number of people (which 20.000 is compared to 68 mln) who are economically inproductive, you cause economic damage that is completely out of proportion.
And that goes for all countries, not just the UK.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
They are following the medical science. There is also the science of economy. You can call the advice from cummings abject, but from an economic point of view he is simply correct. To save the lives of a relatively small number of people (which 20.000 is compared to 68 mln) who are economically inproductive, you cause economic damage that is completely out of proportion.
And that goes for all countries, not just the UK.
Advice from Dominic Cummings - link please.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

26-04-2020, 04:35 PM

This gives some insight in his way of thinking.
https://dominiccummings.com/2019/03/...transmissible/
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

26-04-2020, 04:39 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...old-people-die

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c...ever-spz6sc9vb
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 05:41 PM

@ Solasch ---

The Blog from Cummings is undeniably very true in almost every way other than he underplays the extent of scope for human error and based only on my experience as an undergrad the physical security of hazardous materials is even more lax than he describes. It certainly was in the nucleonics lab at university where we even handled less active sources with bare hands!

(50 years ago)
Do you remember the release of variola virus in 1978 (I think) from a lab in the UK? It sticks in my mind because the lab that I was to visit in Braunschweig requested that I had an immunisation before coming over! I recall the green certificate of vaccination that I was given.

So I'm 100% supportive of his observations regarding pathogens but nowhere did I see any indication that a cull of wrinkles or window lickers would be a price worth paying to create herd immunity - if such a thing is even possible with this bug.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

26-04-2020, 06:52 PM

@ Solasch ---

The Blog from Cummings is undeniably very true in almost every way other than he underplays the extent of scope for human error and based only on my experience as an undergrad the physical security of hazardous materials is even more lax than he describes. It certainly was in the nucleonics lab at university where we even handled less active sources with bare hands!

(50 years ago)
Do you remember the release of variola virus in 1978 (I think) from a lab in the UK? It sticks in my mind because the lab that I was to visit in Braunschweig requested that I had an immunisation before coming over! I recall the green certificate of vaccination that I was given.

So I'm 100% supportive of his observations regarding pathogens but nowhere did I see any indication that a cull of wrinkles or window lickers would be a price worth paying to create herd immunity - if such a thing is even possible with this bug.
3H-thymidine tracing? Yeah, drops spilled on the floor were common. But I have a healthy respect for anything radioactive.

1978 being the first year I visited england, we were asked whether we had smallpox vaccination. Our shoulders easily proved that. But vaccination in our little bible belt being controversial created small outbreaks in those days, so I can quite understand the reservations of the collegium.

Herd immunity is something that is acquired even if the mortality rate is 90%, like dutch elm disease. It is achieved by letting a disease run its course, either with measures to slow down that course (like now with corona) or without. Cummings is intelligent enough to not say he wants to create herd immunity, but abrupt enough to state what downing str 10 is now denying.
If number 10 denies anything you know it to be true!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

26-04-2020, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
3H-thymidine tracing? Yeah, drops spilled on the floor were common. But I have a healthy respect for anything radioactive.

1978 being the first year I visited england, we were asked whether we had smallpox vaccination. Our shoulders easily proved that. But vaccination in our little bible belt being controversial created small outbreaks in those days, so I can quite understand the reservations of the collegium.

Herd immunity is something that is acquired even if the mortality rate is 90%, like dutch elm disease. It is achieved by letting a disease run its course, either with measures to slow down that course (like now with corona) or without. Cummings is intelligent enough to not say he wants to create herd immunity, but abrupt enough to state what downing str 10 is now denying.
If number 10 denies anything you know it to be true!
I think you're right but do not entirely agree with your view where Nr 10 is concerned

As for things radioactive I know exactly what you mean. Today I'd want body shielding especially around my "nads" but back then as long as it wasn't an alpha source we were somewhat cavalier.

Bloody stupid but hey! That's undergrads for you!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top