Join for free
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 11:45 AM

Re: China claims all

It makes you wonder that everything that is happening in the world recently has been orchestrated.
Do you think China will send us some steel so we can manufacture some ordinance....? We seem to be short of a steel industry;....Among other things....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
You are quite right KZ, You dont really need China,
Instead of exporting your coal and iron ore to them you could be
using it to make your own cars and warships etc?
You could become the next powerhouse of the east??
In fact l have wondered for some time why you are not allready??
Your thoughts on this please??

Donkeyman! 😇😇😇
We do make our own warships Assman

Australia has plenty of gas, coal and iron ore for its own use and for export. The country is made of iron ore (red soils and all that)

At the moment we are having very harsh words with the French because there is not enough Australian content in the submarines they have designed for us but which will be built here out of Australian steel.

Bluescope ex BHP Steel manufactures steel at Port Kembla, steel is also produced at Whyalla, both are fully integrated steelworks using Australian iron ore and coal. There are also steel works in Victoria and WA but I am not familiar with them.

We are also selling two decommissioned Adelaide class frigates to the Chile navy (ex HMAS Melbourne & HMAS Newcastle)

As for China, yes we do need them, we run a massive trade surplus with China.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 01:26 PM

I won't pretend to understand all the ins and outs of this, but what I would like to know is, seeing as all these health worries of late originated in China - and I am quite sure they know a whole lot more than they are letting on -
why are we now putting money back in their pot?

They are churning out thousands, or millions, of face masks to flog to other countries and charging what they want for them.
Loads of British companies have offered to help out and make them for us, and from what I have read, they've been ignored and we have given the work to China instead.

Where's the sense in that? Why are we supporting them instead of our own local businessess who desperately need the income at the mo.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It makes you wonder that everything that is happening in the world recently has been orchestrated.
Do you think China will send us some steel so we can manufacture some ordinance....? We seem to be short of a steel industry;....Among other things....
I was just thinking the same thing.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I won't pretend to understand all the ins and outs of this, but what I would like to know is, seeing as all these health worries of late originated in China - and I am quite sure they know a whole lot more than they are letting on -

They are churning out thousands, or millions, of face masks to flog to other countries and charging what they want for them.
Loads of British companies have offered to help out and make them for us, and from what I have read, they've been ignored and we have given the work to China instead.

Where's the sense in that? Why are we supporting them instead of our own local businessess who desperately need the income at the mo.
I don't understand it either Mups. As you say, there is something we are not being told. Perhaps we will never know.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Where's the sense in that? Why are we supporting them instead of our own local businesses who desperately need the income at the mo.
I've been reading up on this, Mups. Although many companies HAVE offered to help, only a few have actually been able to commit to making just a fraction of the quantities needed and still operate social distancing for their staff. China's factory managers and owners, on the other hand, couldn't give a flying fart about their workers health and safety.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I've been reading up on this, Mups. Although many companies HAVE offered to help, only a few have actually been able to commit to making just a fraction of the quantities needed and still operate social distancing for their staff. China's factory managers and owners, on the other hand, couldn't give a flying fart about their workers health and safety.
The bit in bold is exactly why other countries are not putting a strong effort into making PPE themselves because social distancing prevents it and if they tried, the workforce would complain on health and safety grounds. China's manufacturing bosses do not give a rat's backside about health and safety, hence they can produce as much PPE as they like.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->

Typical. So they are the ones who started it all, and now they are the major ones making money out of it.
Thank you Percy.

Where are all the testing kits being made?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
We do make our own warships Assman

Australia has plenty of gas, coal and iron ore for its own use and for export. The country is made of iron ore (red soils and all that)

At the moment we are having very harsh words with the French because there is not enough Australian content in the submarines they have designed for us but which will be built here out of Australian steel.

Bluescope ex BHP Steel manufactures steel at Port Kembla, steel is also produced at Whyalla, both are fully integrated steelworks using Australian iron ore and coal. There are also steel works in Victoria and WA but I am not familiar with them.

We are also selling two decommissioned Adelaide class frigates to the Chile navy (ex HMAS Melbourne & HMAS Newcastle)

As for China, yes we do need them, we run a massive trade surplus with China.

In my reply to keezoy l was speaking slightly tongue in cheek Brucy?
But l do wonder why ozzie is not utilising its vast resources to better
advantage than it is at present?
For instance you could site your steel mills directly over the mines
to cut out all that messy and expensive handling and transport, which
could make you the cheapest steel maker in the world??
And you could do the same with your coal which can be used in
the steel making process?
On the submarine issue, l question why you used the french to
design them, surely the germans are the experts in that field if you
are unable to design them yourselves??
On your massive trade surplus with China l soppose its a crafty way
of shifting your carbon footprint to another country!

Donkeyman! 😇😇😇
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
On your massive trade surplus with China l soppose its a crafty way
of shifting your carbon footprint to another country!

Donkeyman! 😇😇😇
Ah Ha. soppose ??? Even Donkeyman, the perfect one, can have a senior moment

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top