Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 01:52 PM

Re: Why does the government keep using word Advice instead of issuing Demands?

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I have no idea if that is where the information came from. Curiosity led me to search for the source and this was the only one I could find that mentioned the figure posted. For that reason I posted it as maybe that is where it came from. As far as I am concerned there is just too much information out there, all very confusing when this all differs. The only way I can get an overall view is from so many sources and just take a 'middle of the road' view. I usually find the statisticians, often working for the ONS seem to be giving out more accurate information, surprisingly that often differs from that given out by the government!
Thanks for posting it Baz it was an interesting read.

It's worrying that the press jumps on one number like wolves and then people might go out thinking they are safe. Then the next week they say cases are going up or there is yet another study.

I don't trust projected or assumed figures. I focus on hospitalisation rates. Those have fallen in the last week but it will be interesting to see the values in 2-3 weeks after easing of restrictions has had time to bed in. That's the real test IMO.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
which states that there is "modelling" underpinning this number. 24 is an assumption. The King's app professor was interviewed on BBC or Sky. As mentioned he said you should not take this study or that but all studies need to be read in order to make up your mind on what's really happening. Press reports should be taken with a pinch of salt as is always the case...
The figure of new cases 24 was for London and an official report..sneer all you want

Nothing to do with the rest of the country.

As reported as well the biggest rise of cases was in Barrow in Furness
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 07:09 PM

Death rate down 170 to day

Sneer at that then anne.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's probably slowing Muddy because there are too many recovered people that are not passing it on anymore.

I haven't seen recovery rates yet but the figures are something like ...

People with Covid-19 are about 250k
Total deaths is about 34k

So the number of recoveries must be about 215k
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->

Judging by some reports infections could be as high as a couple of million Bread, but some are asymptomatic, and not every infected person has been tested and don't appear on official figures. When the percentage of recovered reaches a certain amount, the virus will be unable to transmit between people and it will create a sort of human firebreak (as I believe is happening in London) This is certainly how other viruses have been brought under control or eradicated altogether. I also believe the summer will help to slow it down, most colds and flu viruses disappear in the summer. Just my opinion of course, but it doesn't take an expert (or the BBC) to look back through time and see how we coped before and what eventually happened to a rampaging virus..
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

17-05-2020, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->

Nor have I.

Other countries have posted recovery figures why not the UK??
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 10:40 PM

Judging by some reports infections could be as high as a couple of million Bread, but some are asymptomatic, and not every infected person has been tested and don't appear on official figures. When the percentage of recovered reaches a certain amount, the virus will be unable to transmit between people and it will create a sort of human firebreak (as I believe is happening in London) This is certainly how other viruses have been brought under control or eradicated altogether. I also believe the summer will help to slow it down, most colds and flu viruses disappear in the summer. Just my opinion of course, but it doesn't take an expert (or the BBC) to look back through time and see how we coped before and what eventually happened to a rampaging virus..
Yep

Spot on
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2020, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
One thing that has frustrated me during this lockdown is the number of times the government has used the word 'advice' in asking the public to do things for example 'it's advised people social distance', 'it is advised people wear face masks','it is advised people do not crowd on public transport', it's advised....it's advised...

We have seen on a daily basis that many people are not adhering to the governments 'advise'. People flocking to parks and beaches when the weather is nice and more recently, people in London crowding on the tube trains and buses. Why doesn't the government issue demands instead, like, you will wear face mask or you will not crowd public transport.

If face masks need to be worn in certain areas then make it mandatory. If social distancing needs to be in place in certain areas then make it mandatory, don't say 'well if you can't social distance at work then the advise is to do the best you can'!!!. Stop with the 'advise', make everything mandatory which then gives the police and health and safety executive strong powers to step in.

Take the tube and buses in London, they are run by TFL. If TFL are no enforcing social distancing on the public then allow the police or the health and safety executive to shut them down because it is clear from the pictures we see in the press that you cannot rely on the public to listen to the 'advice' from the government.

Would such a demand have kept dominic cummings and wife and son in london?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2020, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Would such a demand have kept dominic cummings and wife and son in london?
You seem to have a vendetta against Dominic Cummings Solasch, is it because he has always been a brexit man?
The BBC are singing from the same song sheet as you and just want him out because of his beliefs. It's got nothing at all to do with him breaking the lockdown law is it?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2020, 10:49 AM

You seem to have a vendetta against Dominic Cummings Solasch, is it because he has always been a brexit man?
The BBC are singing from the same song sheet as you and just want him out because of his beliefs. It's got nothing at all to do with him breaking the lockdown law is it?
Exactly that OGF!!
But lets reverse the argument a bit about DC, and suppose that he
has been influenced by the behaviour of the general public into
deciding to ignore the government advice on covid??
It works for me??

Donkeyman! 😁😁😁

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top