Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 09:05 AM

Re: More confessions of a retired shopkeeper.

THis is a long one.

Some memories of I HAYTER the pet shop During the early 1960s I helped on Saturdays in this, already, old fashioned haven. I don't remember officially being employed as I had been known to the proprietor IDA Peachey (Ida) and ETHEL Stride for some time.
Ethel and Dave Stride lived over the shop, as did Ida. The tiny area which served as a shop gave no clue as to the long sprawling storage stretching back through the conservatory and outbuildings reaching the back entrance in Kingsway and the Kingsland market beyond.
I remember helping move a few boxes around as any young polite chap would do .to help an old lady. They both seemed quite old to this teenager. Ethel was in her 60s already and Ida mid 50s. As events proved, neither had considered retirement an option, both being still involved into their 90s in the business ... Moving a few boxes earned me half a crown from Ethel one Saturday, with the promise of more next week I drifted into helping every Saturday for the princely sum of 25 shillings (£1.25) for the whole day
..St Mary's street was still a busy shopping area in 1962, and I can still, if I close my eyes smell the tobacco from the tobacconist Mr Sounders next door and The blood and sawdust from Chards the butcher on the other side of the pet Shop. Mr Saunders was a big quiet man remarkable in that he had a huge dent in his forehead, apparently from the propeller of a spitfire aeroplane during the last War. Further along the road was the Government Surplus Stores, a TV and Electrical shop, a couple of cafes, a hairdresser, Delbridge and a variety of Other shops. Delbridge was a corn and seed merchant as well as selling pets. The Walls were lined with old wooden shelves and bins at floor level containing a Wonderful selection of seeds and strange smelling food stuffs for animals.
One day there were shrieks coming from the butchers shop, one of the young Butchers had been sharpening a knife, slipped and severed an artery in his arm. There was uproar. Ida strode in and calmed everyone down by taking charge Until the ambulance drew up. There was blood everywhere. Then we had a nice Cup of tea. Ida had a cigarette in a nice cigarette holder and leaned back against The counter puffing with a look of achievement on her face.
"Ethel and me haven't always been old" she advised me "When we were young we Used to go, to the beach and had such fun that people would ask us to come back Because they so enjoyed our company". There are a couple of photos of them on The beach, but Ida looks quite serious in all of them, especially whenever Aunty Is present ... Mrs Hayter (Aunty) lived on after Uncle Herbert died in 1929 for Another 22 years, passing on in 1951 at the age of 83. The pubs used to close at 2.30 pm; this was before "all day openings" now the Norm of course. We used to watch the drunks and their antics as they progressed out of the pubs and along the other side of the road, some more successfully than others One day one came into the shop to buy a "birdie" to take home a s a peace offering and was politely led out the back, after a convenience stop in the outside loo, and through the rear exit onto the street again, I don't think he noticed., he certainly never mentioned it again.
There were lots of regular customers, some of whom were offered tea, sometimes in the parlour behind the front storeroom and shop. Tea, a slice of cake, and often a sympathetic ear or shoulder. Ida and Ethel knew everybody in the street. Neither lady ever gossiped or spoke carelessly about any of their circle of friends, confidants and visitors.

Characters abounded in those days and we enjoyed their regular visits. There was a man who came in and walked out always backwards. Looking over his shoulder. A very vivacious lady with lots of make up and several Chihuahua type dogs with long hair and lots of ribbons, just like her two daughters, often accompanying her. They brought a bit of glamour into the shop.
Ida had been quite a good looking young woman and in her younger days and had plenty of admirers, but never married. I guess the business came first.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 10:43 AM

You could make a drama series out of that story alone....
Name it 'The Strides' ...... I'd watch it
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
You could make a drama series out of that story alone....
Name it 'The Strides' ...... I'd watch it
I'm often surprised at just how much I can remember once I get going. As for what I did yesterday, I haven't a clue.

just for interest the STRIDE's were well known in the area, not least because David Stride, Ethel's husband was one of 22 siblings.

David spent most of his working life with the towns Shire horses, used to pul dustcarts. When the council retired them off David was inconsolable . He was pensioned off.
Happily, the horses were used several times for nostalgia sake
He was driving the lead carriage, on each occasion.
David & Ethel's home was destroyed in November 1940 by German incendiary bombs. They turned up at Ida's door with only what they were wearing.
Ida took them in and they never left.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 12:50 PM

Now - I'm sad ......
Good ol' 'Ida' - she was a good gal ......
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

10-07-2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Now - I'm sad ......
Good ol' 'Ida' - she was a good gal ......
I kept in touch with them until they died, both in their 90s, and still running the pet shop.
The local press did a big article on them without their permission and a few days later they were assaulted in their bedrooms and robbed. Ethel never got over it and died a few weeks later. David passed on in 1990. Ethel went in 2000 & Ida in 2002.
The funeral procession came through the local shopping street where they had traded since 1878 and all the other shopkeepers stood silently in front of their shops. Very moving event.
David is buried with Ethel & Ida with her aunt & uncle. NOne of them had children.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

10-07-2013, 01:03 PM

Truly moving story - I will feel sad for a while but then happy that they were part of the community .....
and -
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

10-07-2013, 01:12 PM

After they died the petshop was closed while Ida's estate was sorted out, she had not done a will, Everything was in her aunt's name because she was not properly adopted.

I went to look at the premises a few weeks after her death& was disgusted to find that all their stuff was skipped.
I managed to save her birth certificate & some photos & old invoices.
I put them into a scrapbook & donated them to the City Archives (It used to be my 2nd home)

In 2008 the stuff I gave them was put into a major display on the good old shops of Yore & officially thanked by the Mayor of the CIty, forsaving heritage items.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

10-07-2013, 01:26 PM

Thats fabulous Robert - well done you ...
Now - I'm very happy again ......
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 02:09 PM

Lovely picture you paint with words Robert, it's a drama in a nutshell.
People were so genuine in those days, sadly missing today.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

10-07-2013, 02:13 PM

Werent they just - saw a docu on the old buses last night, when they had 'conductors' and evryone 'spoke' to each other....
Felt for the bus drivers today, they say you're lucky if you get a grunt from the passengers - everyones in such a rush .....

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top