Join for free
Page 15 of 26 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 08:54 PM

Re: Does being a good human being matter to you?

I don't see what the problem is.

If we kill innocent, sentient creatures just for dinner, why not a person who has committed a heinous crime?

This isn't about punishment, justice, or even deterrence.

This is about ridding the planet of a malignancy, ensuring that there is neither a chance of recidivism nor waste of precious resources.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

If we kill innocent, sentient creatures just for dinner, why not a person who has committed a heinous crime?

This is about ridding the planet of a malignancy, ensuring that there is neither a chance of recidivism nor waste of precious resources.
Only one small step away from advocating the principle of lebensunwertes leben.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
What is "justice"? How does "retribution" differ from "vengeance"?
Justice is about fairness, honour and virtue, measuring the outcome of a situation against a set of established principles. Vengeance requires no such qualities. Justice requires use of the frontal lobes, vengeance the beast in us.

I didn't mention retribution.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Justice is about fairness, honour and virtue, measuring the outcome of a situation against a set of established principles. Vengeance requires no such qualities. Justice requires use of the frontal lobes, vengeance the beast in us.
An interesting view of the meaning of justice, since it utilises the use of three other qualities which aren't exactly easy to define either

As for established principles, am I correct in thinking that this is where your argument about "progress" comes into it and that the current principles are those which have dragged us out of the dark ages?

I'm aware of that, but since the established principles for incarcerating people involve fairness, honour and virtue centred around the established principles of utilitarianism and retribution, it seems a fair question to ask . Retribution is the accepted state's version of vengeance. Without it, there would be far fewer people in prison.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 10:40 PM

Totally agree .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Only one small step away from advocating the principle of lebensunwertes leben.
Criminals who have committed heinous crimes are not worthy of life.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

04-10-2019, 10:44 PM

Justice includes punishment
It’s called judicial retribution
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 10:52 PM

Hale the remainers, that takes a lot of trust.

Edited, was focusing on remainers.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 11:28 PM

I think vengeance is just a way to demonstrate to somebody that
has done harm to you, what they have done, so they get the
chance to feel what the victim feels, and so learn from that?

Regards Donkeyman!
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I think vengeance is just a way to demonstrate to somebody that
has done harm to you, what they have done, so they get the
chance to feel what the victim feels, and so learn from that?

Regards Donkeyman!
They killed, now it is time for them to learn what it is like to be killed, it's how people learn.

Page 15 of 26 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top