Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2013, 09:09 AM

Re: What would it take for you...........

No I wasn't curious at all - your business is yours ....
Just a thought that struck me, cos its no good hanging on to stuff - got to expel sometime and the sooner the better ....
Duckie
Australia
Duckie is male  Duckie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2013, 09:09 AM

Also I feel like a bit of a loser because I quit teaching about 10 years ago. Couldn't handle the stress. I'm now working in kind of night-time security which is easy enough but...well there is a feeling of not living up to my potential,.....
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2013, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by youngatart ->
Also I feel like a bit of a loser because I quit teaching about 10 years ago. Couldn't handle the stress. I'm now working in kind of night-time security which is easy enough but...well there is a feeling of not living up to my potential,.....

Nick matey, you are who you are - there is no 'false' potential to aim for you can only live your life from the where you are now, not where you previously were.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2013, 09:42 AM

A lot of teachers are giving up on the profession - it 'is' extremely stressful now - so you are not alone there .....
Recruitment is also difficult ....
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2013, 11:35 AM

I taught in FE for 23 years and yes, there were times when it was stressful, particularly when trying to teach students who didn't want to learn, but there were also times when it was very rewarding. Nevertheless I got out as soon as I could at the ripe old age of 60 !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

20-06-2013, 12:56 PM

I think you would find it intolerable today Alan .... Did you have violence from the pupils to contend with ......?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2013, 01:35 PM

Hi Nick
Originally Posted by youngatart ->
to want to commit suicide?
Now before you tell Youngatart to "nick off", for being such a sad, pessimistic soul.........

I thought today if I had committed a serious crime like murder, I could not forgive myself. Especially rape and murder. It's just so shocking and so hideous. You may have heard of an Irish girl who was raped and murdered in Melbourne(Australia) recently. Appalling story. I tried to think if I was in the murderer's shoes, I wouldn't want to live anymore. I would be happy to be executed immediately. Sooner the better. I think if there was an easy way to suicide, I would do it.
Guilt is a terrible thing. How does one recover from such guilt? I hope I never find out. Mind you, I think this particular rapist has more regret than guilt. Regret that he got found out. But you never know. There may be a pang of remorse in his heart.
Nick you are looking at this from your perspective, you would clearly feel guilt for such a crime, many do not. This is because they are incapable of empathising with others so feel no guilt or even remorse. Some feel an extreme form of anger usually related to things which happened in their childhood.

Those who do feel guilt sometimes manage to come to terms with their crime in time much as we do with a bereavement.
Others have a form of self denial, they close the box on their crime and hide it away in the deepest recesses of their memories.

As for suicide, I can understand those in horrible physical pain. I'm sure you have discussed this before on other threads. I think this thread could be more about mental anguish from guilt.
Some who commit crimes do indeed contemplate suicide and I believe it is their right to choose this option.

'What would it take for me' well I don't think it would be guilt . As someone who abhors violence in any form I could never intentionally hurt anyone.
If I accidentally hurt someone it would be difficult for me to accept this. I guess I would look at the good that I can do and that would give me a reason to go on living..
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2013, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
I think you would find it intolerable today Alan .... Did you have violence from the pupils to contend with ......?
I never had violence Pat just disruptive behaviour. As they were 16years and over I could send them out if I had enough of them.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

20-06-2013, 03:24 PM

Yes - not so easy today Alan - as well as the pupils being violent, some parents too !!
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2013, 03:25 PM

Suicide is not painless. Its dreadful for the relatives and friends of the person involved. I know. There is always a gap where that person
was and instead of seeing them lying in bed dying of cancer or from an
accident you wonder what they were thinking when they killed themselves and why they didn't ask for help.
Although you mentioned dark things Nick, but you do seem to have a heart. Why don't you try sharing yourself with time for people who need
help, a charity or something. You will find when you have others to
think about and care for you forget about yourself and your problems
and you wont be lonely helping others.

p.s. if I remember rightly about that poor Irish girl being murdered I thought I read the guy had a wife and child at home.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top