Join for free
AlbertaS
Berkshire, UK
AlbertaS is female  AlbertaS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2015, 03:46 PM

Chickens as pets

Does anyone else keep chickens? We bought 3 about 4yrs ago, just for the joy of fresh new laid eggs. I didn't realise then how different their personalities are and how I would become so attached to my girls.
I lost one called Fifi, a French Maran, last week. She is now buried under a rose bush and how I miss he tearing up the path to meet me each morning.
I love em.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2015, 03:52 PM

Re: Chickens as pets

Not myself but I know a few folks who do,from rarer breeds to rescued battery hens. And yes it appears they do become individuals.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2015, 03:59 PM

I haven't got any, but would like some one day when we move to Devon.

We do have about 4 houses here in our street that has Chickens just for the eggs, but the Foxes are a nuisance here.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2015, 04:50 PM

My daughter likes to keep chickens, and she's had a couple of ducks too ,when i visit i like to give them their feed each day and fresh water.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2015, 05:45 PM

I'd like fresh eggs but I'm too scared of attracting rats.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2015, 11:19 PM

Alberta, I kept poultry for about 40 years, up to about January 2007.
It began with half a dozen hybrids for eggs, but I really got to like them, so when I moved and had more space, I started getting more interested in the pure bred birds.
Over the years, my hobby increased and I got more breeds, then started hatching my own. If it was just a few eggs I would use broodies, but if I wanted to hatch a larger quantity I used incubators.
Later I increased to waterfowl as well as the poultry.
I think my favourite hens were the little 'Pekin' bantams, very docile, sweet tempered birds.
My favourite duck would probably be the 'Call Ducks', such funny little characters, but noisy. I never clipped their wings and loved to watch them fly, but they never flew away from home.
Favourite geese were the Brecon Buffs, no where near as aggressive as a lot of other breeds.
With the peacocks and Guinea Fowl as well, I had around 200 birds in the end, plus aviary birds as well!
I was married to a farmer in those days, so my birds had all the space they wanted. I had a digger in to make a big pond for the waterfowl as well.
When I moved to where I am now, it was the first time in about 40 years I had no birds, and it took me ages to settle without them.
AlbertaS
Berkshire, UK
AlbertaS is female  AlbertaS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 02:24 PM

Wow Mups, what a wonderful selection of birds you had. The little Pekin bantams are such pretty little chickens and as you say very docile.
My only experience of ducks are the ones that my grandmother used to keep but I don't remember too much about them.
It must have been so lovely to walk around your land and to see the different birds, including the beautiful peacock plus the home made pond. Quite a feat I imagine and lovely to look back on what you achieved.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2015, 06:43 PM

As a little girl I looked after my Aunts 40 hens feeding them twice a day/letting them out in the field/ collecting the eggs which at that time were washed and graded before being picked up by the packers. I loved the smell of layers mash mixed with hot water which they had in the morning.

I had favorites with names and they would crouch down sticking their folded wings to be picked up and stroked.

Consequently I developed a dislike for eating chicken and I won't eat it to this day, the smell of it cooking makes me feel ill.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top