Join for free
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2010, 07:40 PM

Convenia injection

Has anyone had any experience of this with their pet?

Convenia is a long lasting antibiotic injection that lasts 7-14 days.

Asti was taken into the vets as she was limping and when the vet touched a certain part of her left foot she wouldn't let him look so she was in great pain when that part was touched. The vet said I had two choices, either to give her a course of antiflammatories OR sedate her and examine the part of her foot and see what the problem was. I went for the later option. So I left Asti at the vets and picked her up at 2.15 pm. They had x rayed the part and there was nothing in her foot or puncture or wound so they seemed to think it was an infection. Well they gave her a sedative, Metacam injection which is fine, and injection of Convenia.

Well I've been reading a few scarey things about Convenia. For instance if your pet has a bad reaction to the antibiotic there's no way of stopping it, whereas if you give antibiotics in tablet form at least they can be stopped.

When Asti goes back to the vets for a check up next Monday I will have a word with our vet and say I don't want her to have that injection again, I would rather stick to the giving tablets. Hence to say I'm keeping a close eye on Asti.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2010, 09:06 PM

Re: Convenia injection

Hi Alicat, my Hatti has had a couple of Convenia injections in the past and has never shown any side-effects at all, but in saying that, some medication doesn't suit all. I too would rather give tablets wherever possible, because as you say, you can always stop giving them if they upset/cause a reaction.

Hopefully Asti won't react to the injection, and I hope her foot soon improves...fingers crossed.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2010, 10:39 PM

I hope Asti's foot gets better soon, Alicat ...
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2010, 12:06 AM

I would post something on Dogsey Alicat. Hope Asti gets well soon.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2010, 10:52 PM

Thanks for your replies. Asti is doing okay, her limp has almost gone, she hasn't had any reaction to the injection. I'm seeing my vet next Monday for a check up so I shall have a word with him about the injection.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2010, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
Thanks for your replies. Asti is doing okay, her limp has almost gone, she hasn't had any reaction to the injection. I'm seeing my vet next Monday for a check up so I shall have a word with him about the injection.
Glad Asti's foot is improving and that she didn't have any reaction to the injection-good news
Alicat
West Berkshire

09-10-2010, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by merz ->
Glad Asti's foot is improving and that she didn't have any reaction to the injection-good news
Thanks merz.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top