Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 03:14 PM

Re: Debate

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Nobody convinced me, I made up my own mind, not influenced by things written on busses either.
Leavers knew what they voted for, now they've got it, time for them to stop whinging.
Sorry but of course people convinced you, no one lives in a vacuum, you must have heard read or seen things about the referendum, EU etc that convinced you.

As for getting what we voted for ? I wish ! If we had it would not be the mess it is now.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 03:18 PM

Nope, I made up my own mind, I don't believe politicians.
I thought about what was best for my kids and their kids. I'm not saying leavers didn't but everyone's situation is different.

If it's not what you want you have to tell them or they just blindly think they're doing the right thing.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
This mooted debate between Corbyn and May should be interesting a leaver pretending to be a remainer and a remainer pretending she is for leaving.

Nothing can go wrong there then
Quite right Julie. What on earth is the point of having a debate between two remainers! One, who obviously thinks she is going to have all the answers as she is the one who has been negotiating, and the other who flip flops his belief in Brexit to suit his agenda.

A REAL debate would be between Theresa May and a Brexiteer such as Boris, JRM, Duncan-Smith or joy of joys if it did happen, Nigel - or any of those outspoken Brexit supporting politicians who want what we and the country that voted to leave wanted, the Brexit we thought we were being delivered.

Sheer waste of time. It will just end up as a convenient EU Party Political Broadcast with lots of "in the best interests of the country" thrown in for good measure.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 03:42 PM

The subject on everybody mind's at the time of Brexit, perhaps more than it is now as it's overshadowed by other items such as trade was immigration. This was perhaps a main reason why many people voted Leave.

In actual effect, immigration hasn't been one of the major topics throughout the Brexit campaign and maybe if there was a second referendum people would be more concerned about their childrens' futures and trade agreements than a few more thousand people coming into the country - some of which with more talented skills we are now crying out for.

I am having second thoughts now about my vote, but still nobody knows what will actually happen despite those who pound their fists on the table in political life (and on here too) to the contrary. All we as the general public can do is wait and see and of course, do as we are told.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
The subject on everybody mind's at the time of Brexit, perhaps more than it is now as it's overshadowed by other items such as trade was immigration. This was perhaps a main reason why many people voted Leave.

In actual effect, immigration hasn't been one of the major topics throughout the Brexit campaign and maybe if there was a second referendum people would be more concerned about their childrens' futures and trade agreements than a few more thousand people coming into the country - some of which with more talented skills we are now crying out for.

I am having second thoughts now about my vote, but still nobody knows what will actually happen despite those who pound their fists on the table in political life (and on here too) to the contrary. All we as the general public can do is wait and see and of course, do as we are told.
Yep, that's about the size of it Floydy. Our chance to say what we thought was when we voted in the referendum, now it's up to the politicians to interpret the vote any way they wish (and they are) and there is nothing we can do about it. Personally I don't give a dead rats ass, but if I had the vote again it would always be for democracy, which is not what the EU is offering.

I don't worry about the young folk, they will stand on their own two feet just as we have done, but I wonder how the soldiers who fought in the two world wars would see it who gave their lives in the fight for freedom....

The British - and I include folks of every race who settled here who admired the British resolve and way of life - were a strong willed, courageous, no nonsense sort of people who would fight to the last man (or woman) for the belief in this green and pleasant land...I hope we still are...

How much the price of freedom? Okay, hands up all those who didn't think it would be tough. Isn't it testament to the fact we have been suckered by the EU and given our best bits away and are no longer a stand alone country who can supply the needs of all it's people. It might be too late already, but are we going down without a fight? In the words of a true brit....Not bloody likely!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Yep, that's about the size of it Floydy. Our chance to say what we thought was when we voted in the referendum, now it's up to the politicians to interpret the vote any way they wish (and they are) and there is nothing we can do about it. Personally I don't give a dead rats ass, but if I had the vote again it would always be for democracy, which is not what the EU is offering.

I don't worry about the young folk, they will stand on their own two feet just as we have done, but I wonder how the soldiers who fought in the two world wars would see it who gave their lives in the fight for freedom....

The British - and I include folks of every race who settled here who admired the British resolve and way of life - were a strong willed, courageous, no nonsense sort of people who would fight to the last man (or woman) for the belief in this green and pleasant land...I hope we still are...

How much the price of freedom? Okay, hands up all those who didn't think it would be tough. Isn't it testament to the fact we have been suckered by the EU and given our best bits away and are no longer a stand alone country who can supply the needs of all it's people. It might be too late already, but are we going down without a fight? In the words of a true brit....Not bloody likely!
Great post Bob
As you say, we British (in that I mean born here, as the most resilient bunch of people. Those amazing conscripts and volunteers in the two world wars we won just got on with the job in hand because we are born survivors and we think about our families and our future.
And the young folk now, I'm with you largely on that, they will do as we did and fend for themselves, however difficult that may be, but survive they will against any odds.

I am getting more and more amused (and bemused) by politicians, columnists, even the folk on here who rattle on about Brexit as if they know they answer and outcome - who should go, who should be in charge and what they will do to change things for the better (or worse) if it all fails.

let them all get on with their ranting and their egotistical views - we can simply live our lives as we are are doing and go along with it. It's not a defeatist attitude, it's being practical. We can only just sit it out and wait.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
How much the price of freedom?
Well, read for yourself:

Public and private sector organisations in the UK receive funding from the EU through various channels – the UK received a total of €6.3 billion (about £5.5 billion) in 2017. The majority of EU funding is administered in partnership with national and regional authorities in Member States, though a share of it is directly administered by the European Commission.
The two most significant funding channels for the UK are the European Structural and Investment (ESI) funds*and the European Agricultural Guarantee Fund. For the current funding period (2014-20), the UK has been allocated €17.2 billion and €22.5 billion through these funds respectively.
The European Agricultural Guarantee Fund (EAGF) is the primary financial mechanism used for the implementation of the EU’s Common Agricultural Policy (CAP). The EAGF consists of direct payments to farmers to stabilise their revenues and market measures to tackle specific market situations, and the UK has been allocated €22.5 billion for the period 2014-20.
Organisations in the UK can also apply directly to the European Commission for funding from various other streams, often on a competitive basis following calls for applications. The UK is one of the leading Member States in securing funding for research and innovation and various other projects, with around 14% of funds allocated from the Horizon 2020 programme going to the UK, and British universities are in the top four higher education recipients to date. The typical aggregate value of direct funding is around £1-1.5 billion per year.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 05:33 PM

Where were all the strong British backbones when the EU were giving us rules to abide by that we disagreed with?
What about the youngsters that want to work in the EU countries unhindered by visas and other restrictions?

I was watching the local news the other day, a manufacturing company that uses several components from the EU was able to put Made in the EU on it's goods, when we leave they will have to list all the parts and where they come from, a small amount comes from Britain so they can't put Made in Britain on them. They were worried that customers may decide to buy from the EU instead.
Young people with families working there, if they lose contracts, more folk on the dole, more folk claiming benefits for some to moan about.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Where were all the strong British backbones when the EU were giving us rules to abide by that we disagreed with?
What about the youngsters that want to work in the EU countries unhindered by visas and other restrictions?

I was watching the local news the other day, a manufacturing company that uses several components from the EU was able to put Made in the EU on it's goods, when we leave they will have to list all the parts and where they come from, a small amount comes from Britain so they can't put Made in Britain on them. They were worried that customers may decide to buy from the EU instead.
Young people with families working there, if they lose contracts, more folk on the dole, more folk claiming benefits for some to moan about.
Is that all you are worried about Tessa? Business, trade and money, is that all the country is worth to you....A spreadsheet? do you not consider your country it's people it's customs and it's history. We have accepted the twenty pieces of silver from the EU and sold out Britain.....Was a time when most of the stuff in the world was stamped with "Made in Britain" and proud we were too...
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
They should looked for a better motivation. UK is not in schengen. If my neighbour travels to london from calais, he has to show his EU pasport three times. Once to french customs, twice to british. Persons trying to illegally enter the UK are easily stopped.
Perhaps some of your politicians were lying or talking in ignorance (seems to happen to politicians).

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top