Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 11:06 PM

Re: Own Brand Ready Salted Potato Crisps X 6.

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I thought all plain ready salted crisps were gluten free because all they contain are potato, salt and vegetable oil. It's the flavoured ones that can contain some wheat flour according to the Coeliac people.
Depends how sensitive you are. I tend to stick to ones that say gluten free or if they are plain and I've tested them.

The production lines can be contaminated. The same is the case for various gluten free foods such as buckwheat and polenta. If you are very sensitive it ruins your day.

Salt and vinegar are generally a no-no for most brands. I've had trouble with walkers, kettle chips and some others that seem ok.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2021, 08:58 PM

No one mentioned the Seabrook’s were Crinkle crisps! I don’t like ‘crinkle’ crisps!
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2021, 09:25 PM

I make my own since I found this recipe using the microwave do not eat often but like you found walkers were going downhill and own brand hit and miss I use a mandolin to slice the potato. I also turn halfway through.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I found that too greasy and use 1cal fry light)
1 washed potato, sliced paper thin (peeling is optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Pour the vegetable oil into a plastic sandwich or freezer bag. Add the potato slices, and toss to coat.
Coat a large dinner plate lightly with oil. Arrange potato slices in a single layer on the dish. (I use a microwave bacon crisper as my plates are not microwave proof being bone china
Cook in the microwave for 3 to 5 minutes, or until lightly browned (if not browned, they will not become crisp). Times will vary depending on the power of your microwave. Remove chips from plate, and toss with salt (or other seasonings). Let cool. Repeat process with the remaining potato slices. You will not need to keep oiling the plate.

My tip do not overlap times vary but they are well worth the effort.

My friend makes them with sweet potato. I just stick to plain old spuds with a couple of grinds of rock salt.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 01:57 AM

I tried this last year Kazz, it was pretty much a disaster. Perhaps it's down to how good a microwave you have.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I tried this last year Kazz, it was pretty much a disaster. Perhaps it's down to how good a microwave you have.
You could be right there you know my sister in law tried it and she found it a disaster. Don't do it often however I do when the little ones were here less processed food
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I am shocked to hear that M&S crisps are no longer the best.
I stopped buying M&S crisps years ago because the pack of beef & onion I bought were made in Denmark!

Since my operation I can't tolerate crisps any more .......... or crisps can't tolerate me, depending upon your POV.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
No one mentioned the Seabrook’s were Crinkle crisps! I don’t like ‘crinkle’ crisps!
What's wrong with crinkle crisps?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

28-03-2021, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
What's wrong with crinkle crisps?
They tend to be a bit greasier. Usually thicker cut.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2021, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
They tend to be a bit greasier. Usually thicker cut.
Thank you, Annie, I had not realized that.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2021, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Kazz ->
I make my own since I found this recipe using the microwave do not eat often but like you found walkers were going downhill and own brand hit and miss I use a mandolin to slice the potato. I also turn halfway through.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I found that too greasy and use 1cal fry light)
1 washed potato, sliced paper thin (peeling is optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Pour the vegetable oil into a plastic sandwich or freezer bag. Add the potato slices, and toss to coat.
Coat a large dinner plate lightly with oil. Arrange potato slices in a single layer on the dish. (I use a microwave bacon crisper as my plates are not microwave proof being bone china
Cook in the microwave for 3 to 5 minutes, or until lightly browned (if not browned, they will not become crisp). Times will vary depending on the power of your microwave. Remove chips from plate, and toss with salt (or other seasonings). Let cool. Repeat process with the remaining potato slices. You will not need to keep oiling the plate.

My tip do not overlap times vary but they are well worth the effort.

My friend makes them with sweet potato. I just stick to plain old spuds with a couple of grinds of rock salt.
Kazz, Thank You for that, I might try making some today.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top