Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 01:00 PM

Re: Windows 11 ?

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I predict that for most people that use it, the only difference will be that it will be even more unnecessarily complicated and loaded with useless "apps" than all the previous versions. Sorry if I sound cynical but this is just the same as most other consumer stuff. It's not really needed by any ordinary person who uses a home computer or even a work one in many cases. It's just to make more and more money. And after a certain point, Microsoft doesn't even give you a choice. For example, what about an elderly person who just got used to windows 7 or XP when they were 20 years younger. They were happy with that and it was all they ever would need. Now they are not 50. They are 70 and they are confronted with no choice but to virtually learn a new product. Tech support??There isn't any. Even search isn't the same.
Good post, Keezoy!

I have to keep reminding myself that these giant companies are not, always, focussed on the everyday person.

It's much more, in my opinion, aimed at the big Company user & keeping those companies close by introducing all sorts of stuff that pensioners. liker me, will neither want nor need.

I hear that a lot of companies are changing their pcs/lappies every 3 years or so!

All they have to worry about is them buying the ones with their products on!

Trouble is, where is their competition?

Apple (well liked but more expensive), Freebie package Companies? - (probably not for the big boys.)
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Windows 11: what you need to know

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/07...-need-to-know/ - Which?

It's the biggest update to Windows since 2015, but is it worth getting excited over?

Windows 11 is an optional update, but if there aren’t any features you’re interested in, or just want to keep things the way they are, you’re under no obligation to update.

It's looking increasingly likely that I won't bother with the "upgrade" .....
Ah, they got something right at last!
I shall not be 'upgrading' either.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Windows 10 comes loaded with stuff I'm not interested in:

Games
Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc)
Photo viewers and editors
Does it? Mine doesn't. I had to load that myself from an old CD.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Does it? Mine doesn't. I had to load that myself from an old CD.
Yep, same here JB.
My windows 10 came loaded with 'Excel 360' I think it was, and you could use it free for a period of time until it became subscription only, and the worst thing was, you had to supply your card details so they could automatically direct debit you when the trial period ended and you had forgot all about it....
Danny
Denver, CO
Danny is male  Danny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 10:47 PM

I will use Windows 10 until they stop providing updates or I buy a new computer. If I had my way I'd still run windows 98 no unnecessary bs attached that I have to uninstall and not a resource hog.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-07-2021, 11:51 PM

I've always avoided Crapple computers, mainly because they're so expensive.

However, the more Micro$oft demand control and want to keep changing things, the more attractive Apple becomes.

I'd like to know whether Apple laptops can run software initially intended for Windows, such as Photoshop and TurboCAD, and even MS Office.
Does anyone know?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I've always avoided Crapple computers, mainly because they're so expensive.

However, the more Micro$oft demand control and want to keep changing things, the more attractive Apple becomes.

I'd like to know whether Apple laptops can run software initially intended for Windows, such as Photoshop and TurboCAD, and even MS Office.
Does anyone know?
There is some info here:-

https://www.howtogeek.com/701733/can...-on-an-m1-mac/

Apparently, a Windows PC can run Mac stuff.

The other way round is not so simple.

Anyway, Why would anyone pay double for a Mac and then run it like a Windows PC?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I predict that for most people that use it, the only difference will be that it will be even more unnecessarily complicated and loaded with useless "apps" than all the previous versions. Sorry if I sound cynical but this is just the same as most other consumer stuff. It's not really needed by any ordinary person who uses a home computer or even a work one in many cases. It's just to make more and more money. And after a certain point, Microsoft doesn't even give you a choice. For example, what about an elderly person who just got used to windows 7 or XP when they were 20 years younger. They were happy with that and it was all they ever would need. Now they are not 50. They are 70 and they are confronted with no choice but to virtually learn a new product. Tech support??There isn't any. Even search isn't the same.
There must have been elderly people who had been brought up with the earliest of Windows graphical interface computers and even computers before that with no graphical interface at all. Years later, along comes Windows 95, XP and Windows 7 they have to get to grips with and hating it. That's our situation now with the latest operating systems. I think this will always be the case. I don't think we'd be all that happy if Windows had stayed the same as it was in its very early days.

MS want to promote their products and so include software on computers that isn't likely to be used by many. I know this inclusion is a popular definition of bloat. I don't think it is though. All these programs do is take up some disk space and that's usually pretty plentiful these days. They don't slow the computer down because they aren't actively running. Anyway, much of this unwanted software can be easily uninstalled if it's found annoying, even if it is harmless enough.

I'd only class bloat as something unnecessarily taking up processor cycles and memory that can't be turned off. This would slow things down but I think MS has got a fairly good handle on this. The only processes running that can't be turned off are those essential to the running of the computer. For those that aren't essential, on/off switches are provided in the settings. The services needed or not needed can be chosen.

Windows 10 is a good OS in my opinion. It looks at present as if I won't be able to run Windows 11 to see what that's like.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-07-2021, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
There is some info here:-

https://www.howtogeek.com/701733/can...-on-an-m1-mac/

Apparently, a Windows PC can run Mac stuff.

The other way round is not so simple.

Anyway, Why would anyone pay double for a Mac and then run it like a Windows PC?
Thanks for your help.
However, I wasn't considering the ability to run Windows itself on a Mac. Rather some software which I presently run on Windows: specifically Photoshop Elements and TurboCAD, both of which I use quite a lot.

If it isn't possible to do that, I suppose there is another option, which I have previously considered.
I could use my present laptop to run those programmes using Windows 10, but remove any ability to connect to the Internet. That would prevent MS attempting to 'update' my OS and also any 'nasties' trying to invade the computer.
I'd buy another computer, perhaps running Linux, for Internet access.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

09-07-2021, 06:17 PM

To Check whether your processor is compatible, with Windows 11, you can do this:-

1) Go into Control Panel, then System, write down the make and model of your processor. For example, this one is Intel Core(TM)i5-4590S 3 gHz.

2) Check the list to see if you're in or not.

Intel Processors:- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tel-processors

AMD Processors:- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...amd-processors

If you are not in the list, your PC is not compatible - however, word had it that MS might change the lists, somewhat, in due course - so don't panic yet!

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top