Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 03:13 PM

Re: Where do I start Please?

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
What a lovely photo Besoeker,
I am looking for a physical album though, I am not techno savvy at all and fear that all of my precious photos that I uploaded from my iphone to my laptop (straightforward even for thicko like me) will one day disappear. I know I can backup but I'm old school and love looking through an album rather than browsing through them one by one. I want to be able to gaze at a double page of photos, much more pleasurable for me personally.

I have a feeling if I try myself to do this task, I will end up throwing my laptop through the window, so will look up companies that will do the job for me.

Thank you each for your valuable help.
YW and thank you for your kind comment.
My mother and one of my uncles - a photograph probably dating from the late 1920s. I understand your appreciation of hard copy. I like digital format. It just makes it easier for me to share with friends and relatives.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 03:28 PM

I have loads of old photographs from all branches of the family . I have bought lots of plastic pouches of various sizes with zips from Wilkinsons and I am in the process of writing on the back of the photographs saying who they are then sorting them into pouches by family etc and putting a sticker on the front of each pouch listing the content.

I still like to look at actual photographs, some already have messages on the back ( like the first one my husband gave to me ) and are part of family history and I hope they will be passed down the family.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 03:43 PM

I'd say that it is best to keep or get your photos into digital form first of all. I have a folder-full of old photos on the computer called 'Family Album'. All the important photos that were taken many years ago have been scanned into the computer one by one, made into photo files and stored in this folder.

I suppose there is no absolutely secure and safe way of storing photos for posterity but I think you can make them very safe by making back-ups of digitally stored photos. Not just one back-up but two or three back-ups all stored in different places. A back-up in the cloud maybe and give a copy to a relative (I have).

If you then get flood, fire or tempest, it's unlikely that all copies will be destroyed. I think this is probably safer than keeping albums full of prints but if prints are needed, they can be done from that folder-full of photos. If you want to print from your phone or digital camera, consider investing in a dye-sub printer for the purpose. Photos printed from this type of printer don't fade.

All in all, you end up with a combination of hard prints or digital photos held here and there. I think that's about as safe as you can be with your photographs.

Once your family photos are digitised by being scanned into the computer, you can use a good photo editing program to restore old photos, colour them and add effects as has been shown here. Once done, back those up in a few ways and places too. It can make an interesting pastime.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top