Join for free
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2019, 11:07 AM

Three quarters of children under five....

.... now own or have access to a tablet or mobile phone.

Is that a bad thing or progress?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45738280
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2019, 11:25 AM

Re: Three quarters of children under five....

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
.... now own or have access to a tablet or mobile phone.

Is that a bad thing or progress?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45738280
Probably a little young I would have thought, on the other hand though and a more positive note, it's the world they are growing up in so they do need to treat technology as part of life as it is now for most of us.

My two children used to sit and watch TV when allowed to, phones and tablets are only a different way of watching something that is of interest, even better if they are learning this way, which they probably will be.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2019, 11:34 AM

I think too young . I've seen mothers give small kids the tablet or phone to play a repetitive game to give the mother space . Yes now and again under supervision at that age

R who is 8 is allowed 1 hour a day to play her tablet
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2019, 12:23 PM

I think too young too. I especially think it's a bad thing when families are out for a meal in a restaurant and the parents give the child a tablet to keep them quiet. I feel parents should be giving their children attention and make it about family time and engage in conversation.

Obviously technology is a part of modern culture but I personally think there is a time and place and round the dinner table isn't that time.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2019, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by lion queen ->
i think too young too. I especially think it's a bad thing when families are out for a meal in a restaurant and the parents give the child a tablet to keep them quiet. I feel parents should be giving their children attention and make it about family time and engage in conversation.

obviously technology is a part of modern culture but i personally think there is a time and place and round the dinner table isn't that time.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2019, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I think too young too. I especially think it's a bad thing when families are out for a meal in a restaurant and the parents give the child a tablet to keep them quiet. I feel parents should be giving their children attention and make it about family time and engage in conversation.

Obviously technology is a part of modern culture but I personally think there is a time and place and round the dinner table isn't that time.

Well said. Couldn't agree more Queenie.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2019, 08:54 PM

I suppose the most you can say in favour of early exposure to
technological surrogate parents is tha these children will grow up
knowing how to respond to and obey robots?
And so be well suited to the future society?
Regards bDonkeyman!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top