Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 12:49 PM

Who Are These People?

In my shed, l leave some chocolate on a dish to warn me if mice are getting in.
Yesterday, the chocolate was gone! I decided to find where they were coming in and after pulling a load of stuff out, l found the hole. I covered it with a piece of flat metal and put a brick on top.

I then had the job of putting all the stuff back in. I looked at it and thought why am l keeping these things, l will probably never use them.

I binned some things and thought l would take my old hair dryer on a stand and a Flymo mower, l never use to the tip.
The thought of having to put the seats down in my car, load it with the items and take them to the tip seemed a bit of a bind.

Instead, l decided to put them on the verge outside my house but further up the road and if they hadn’t gone by 2.30pm, l would take them to the tip.

Within half an hour, l could hear a lorry’s engine running outside my fence and l heard a man say, ‘I’m sure we can find room for these’ and off they went.

That was wonderful for me, even though for half an hour, l was probably classed as a ‘fly tipper’!

Who are these people? Do they just drive round and round looking for tat?
I could see that it was a tall lorry with a wired trailer like the council’s recycling vehicles.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 12:53 PM

Re: Who Are These People?

Hi

Very common here Art, Tatters we call them.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Very common around here too. If I want to get rid of any unwanted bits of metal I leave them out against the boundary wall and they're gone in no time. You can see their vehicles sometimes filled with 'old' pushbikes. Probably nicked off someone's path because a lot of them seem to be almost new.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 01:05 PM

Happens here too.
There are two chaps in a white pick-up who come round the streets with a loud speaker, repeatedly saying something like - "Any old iron" or something similar.
I have always believed them to be the gipsy's. They have a big scrap yard about 5 miles away from here.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Swimmy, Yet the council charge you a lot to take the same stuff away. Plus, you’re restricted to, l think it’s three items.

I am so pleased they took them as it’s saved me a job!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

21-11-2019, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Very common around here too. If I want to get rid of any unwanted bits of metal I leave them out against the boundary wall and they're gone in no time. You can see their vehicles sometimes filled with 'old' pushbikes. Probably nicked off someone's path because a lot of them seem to be almost new.
I think l’ll do a bit more clearing and put it out the front.
I had to linger at my gates to check there was no traffic passing, in case someone reported me!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 01:11 PM

My next door neighbour puts all her unwanted things out on the front garden wall and in the garden - she then puts up a sign ‘Free to take away’. About 6 weeks ago her garden was cluttered with crockery, cutlery, lamps and lightshades, clothes, books, electrical items, jigsaws, pictures and a couple of step ladders. The whole lot was gone in two days!

It’s ok if you have the nerve to do that ...... personally I worry that it could send the wrong message to some others that they can take anything that is left in someone’s garden.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 01:14 PM

I'm sure they will end up on a stall at a car boot sale, or a second hand stall at a market. There's money in rubbish.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

21-11-2019, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Happens here too.
There are two chaps in a white pick-up who come round the streets with a loud speaker, repeatedly saying something like - "Any old iron" or something similar.
I have always believed them to be the gipsy's. They have a big scrap yard about 5 miles away from here.
Mups, l have never heard anyone talking on a loud speaker or maybe they stick to highly populated areas round here?

I think my hair dryer is classed as vintage now as l saw one on an auction site and the mower worked but it had tape around the lead.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

21-11-2019, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
My next door neighbour puts all her unwanted things out on the front garden wall and in the garden - she then puts up a sign ‘Free to take away’. About 6 weeks ago her garden was cluttered with crockery, cutlery, lamps and lightshades, clothes, books, electrical items, jigsaws, pictures and a couple of step ladders. The whole lot was gone in two days!

It’s ok if you have the nerve to do that ...... personally I worry that it could send the wrong message to some others that they can take anything that is left in someone’s garden.
Mags, l was worried if l left them too near my gates they might call in to ask if they were ok to take. Instead, l walked up the road a bit and left them there!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top