Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 06:22 PM

Re: Electric Planes

No, I won't even go in an electric car.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 06:47 PM

I.m waiting for the transporter. Beam me up
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 07:17 PM

A big elastic band is the answer
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 11:40 AM

Try as they might, electric planes will never get off the ground!

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Try as they might, electric planes will never get off the ground!

They would if they were airships!

I believe airships are the future, especially if the eco-warriors get their way!

Seriously, though, photo-voltaic cells supplying electrically driven propellers. We'd just have to be more patient and allow more time for travel. Probably no overnight flying either - perhaps a good thing?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2019, 09:28 PM

I'm not a Luddite.

This, from the link, might sum up the limitations of situation.

"Even assuming huge advances in battery technology, with batteries that are 30 times more efficient and "energy-dense" than they are today, it would only be possible to fly an A320 airliner for a fifth of its range with just half of its payload, says Airbus's chief technology officer Grazia Vittadini."
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I'm not a Luddite.

This, from the link, might sum up the limitations of situation.

"Even assuming huge advances in battery technology, with batteries that are 30 times more efficient and "energy-dense" than they are today, it would only be possible to fly an A320 airliner for a fifth of its range with just half of its payload, says Airbus's chief technology officer Grazia Vittadini."
Battery storage of electricity, even with advanced technology would impose too much weight to really be considered.
Since this thread was started, I have looked into flight propulsion and from what I have read, controlled matter/anti matter as a propelling force is under serious research as are high power pulsed lasers. Also once fusion technology has been properly developed and harnessed, conventional engines for flight will be history.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Battery storage of electricity, even with advanced technology would impose too much weight to really be considered.
Since this thread was started, I have looked into flight propulsion and from what I have read, controlled matter/anti matter as a propelling force is under serious research as are high power pulsed lasers. Also once fusion technology has been properly developed and harnessed, conventional engines for flight will be history.
As will all fossil fuels.
And oil exporting countries in the Middle East! Back to the desert!
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
As will all fossil fuels.
And oil exporting countries in the Middle East! Back to the desert!

That's why they're buying the rest of the world as quickly as they can.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-11-2019, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
That's why they're buying the rest of the world as quickly as they can.
I think they've bought up all of Londonistan!

Actually, although we used to joke about them when we worked there, they're not stupid. They know that their oil won't last for ever, and their market for 'guest workers' will dry up.

For that reason, not only are they investing abroad, they're also building up their cities in Western styles and, more importantly, they are attempting to train up their own people to take over from foreign workers who have been running their country for them for many years now.

I suspect that, in time when their own natural resources run out, they'll end up like us in the UK relying on service industries.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top