Join for free
Page 12 of 17 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 05:10 PM

Re: DUTCH Super Trawler

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Cod by the pound is more expensive than a lot of steak. The reason we import so much is that we do not have the species quotas.
Hi

Nope, the reason we import so much cod and haddock is that we do not have enough in our waters to satisfy demand.

40 years ago I was catching 20lb cod off the beach at Felixstowe Ferry all the time in Winter.

A few 30lbs on Rod Markhams Boat off shore.

Long gone now.

Sea temperatures have changed.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Nope, the reason we import so much cod and haddock is that we do not have enough in our waters to satisfy demand.

40 years ago I was catching 20lb cod off the beach at Felixstowe Ferry all the time in Winter.

A few 30lbs on Rod Markhams Boat off shore.

Long gone now.

Sea temperatures have changed.
It's not sea temperatures that are responsible for the lack of fish otherwise we would see huge shoals washed up on our beaches. Norway has a much better management policy... plenty of cod there !

The discards system has devastated the fish stocks since the EU CFP started - this I absolutely agree with you about. My record shore caught cod was 12lb 02oz from Jaywick in 2012, the past 3 years we have seen very few codling landed on our shores. Same for bass.

The practice of illegal fishing by the foreign boats has also devastated our stocks. When we leave, we can hopefully put right 40 years of reckless management of our territorial waters.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 08:14 PM

It's not sea temperatures that are responsible for the lack of fish otherwise we would see huge shoals washed up on our beaches. Norway has a much better management policy... plenty of cod there !

The discards system has devastated the fish stocks since the EU CFP started - this I absolutely agree with you about. My record shore caught cod was 12lb 02oz from Jaywick in 2012, the past 3 years we have seen very few codling landed on our shores. Same for bass.

The practice of illegal fishing by the foreign boats has also devastated our stocks. When we leave, we can hopefully put right 40 years of reckless management of our territorial waters.

And iceland has announced it is going to increase the amount they are going to catch with their new supertrawlers (yes, that guardian item). And it is up to the others to decrease their amounts(UK, EU). So you can forget quota.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
And iceland has announced it is going to increase the amount they are going to catch with their new supertrawlers (yes, that guardian item). And it is up to the others to decrease their amounts(UK, EU). So you can forget quota.
Hi

Irrelevant Solasch.

We will always be dependant on imports of cod and haddock.

We have been before we joined the EU.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Irrelevant Solasch.

We will always be dependant on imports of cod and haddock.

We have been before we joined the EU.
I believe you, but where does that leave other posters here that claim that after brexit the UK will get it's own supply of fish from the UK waters?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 09:31 PM

I believe you, but where does that leave other posters here that claim that after brexit the UK will get it's own supply of fish from the UK waters?

Because we control the TAC limits and the policy and the licensing etc.

They are our territorial waters do you still not get this ???
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 09:56 PM

It's the Guardian.

Nobody reads that shit
Limp Dems do!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

21-11-2019, 11:26 PM

Because we control the TAC limits and the policy and the licensing etc.

They are our territorial waters do you still not get this ???
I hope you don't mind, but I take swim's words more serious than yours.
If I understand him correctly, the amount of fish (species) you eat every year is not present in your (territorial) waters. So you are dependent on fishermen from other countries and other waters.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

22-11-2019, 12:08 AM

I hope you don't mind, but I take swim's words more serious than yours.
If I understand him correctly, the amount of fish (species) you eat every year is not present in your (territorial) waters. So you are dependent on fishermen from other countries and other waters.

Yes it is it's just we don't have the quotas.

Believe who you like, just bear in mind that your the one asking me the question
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

22-11-2019, 05:50 AM

Yes it is it's just we don't have the quotas.

Believe who you like, just bear in mind that your the one asking me the question
Hi

A link is always useful.

https://www.seafish.org/media/486918...n%20010711.pdf

You obviously know better than the Fishing Industry itself.

Another point you ignore.

Fisheries are devolved, English territorial waters are tiny compared to Scotland.

Brexit has downsides for me personally as regards fishing.

I will no longer be able to fish my favourite deep water wrecks from here in the UK.

I will have to fish them from France.

Page 12 of 17 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top