Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 12:29 PM

BT or other service provider?

I have a fibre landline for my internet, and a copper wire for my BT phone.
I no longer use my home phone for making call, and mostly only get nuisance call on it. As I pay for unlimited calls on my mobile, this is what I use.
It is costing me £30 a month to BT for this. I pay the line rental as a one off yearly. I have seen offers for a full fibre phone and wifi for under £20, including line rental.
Has anyone gone for this sort of deal, and is there a catch?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 12:37 PM

Re: BT or other service provider?

what prevents me from going to one of theses cheaper service suppliers is what happens if there is a breakdown in the service. How quickly will it be fixed bearing in mind not only that provider but also BT will be involved as they all go through BT exchange equipment.

I would see if there is any chart referring to service satisfaction first
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 12:43 PM

I think the catch would be a lot slower internet access and capped downloads.

I'm considering going to PlusNet as I'm fed up with being ripped off by Virgin Media. Admittedly, I get superfast downloads but I can no longer justify the £43 pm it costs me. A PN fibre bundle with around 16Mb/s download speed is more than adequate for my needs now, and it's around £17 pm cheaper and includes line rental (not that that will get used).
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I no longer use my home phone for making call, and mostly only get nuisance call on it. As I pay for unlimited calls on my mobile, this is what I use.
It is costing me £30 a month to BT for this. I pay the line rental as a one off yearly. I have seen offers for a full fibre phone and wifi for under £20, including line rental.
You might just find you will be getting the same as you have now. I have what seems to be the same as yourself. The fibre part of it is only to the large green box in the village, the remainder is by copper wire to the house. Full fibre can only be installed if there is fibre in your road which can be connected right up to the house, which then means the whole lot is probably via fibre.

I have recently had offers from BT for full fibre as that's now been put in down the road. The catch is that this will now cost about the £10 more than I am paying now. Another money-grabbing scheme by BT is how I see it!

My present broadband speeds are quite adequate for my needs – 38mb download speed and about 2mb upload speed if I recall correctly (and have the terminology right). However, it's good enough for me and until BT offer the full fibre as simply an upgrade free of charge then I will remain with the service I have now. After all I have been contributing to BT's profits for around 45 years now so they have had their money's worth out of me!

Yes, just checked my broadband speed and it's higher than I thought which is with BT's Option 2:

Download: 46.47 Mb/s

Upload: 5.60 Mb/s
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 04:24 PM

Hi

I have been on my landline today with EE Customer Services.

I have an issue with my package with them, which is broadband, landline and unlimited calls.

The broadband speed is very low at times and is intermittent of late.

I did a speed check 3 times and highest speed was 6.3, guaranteed minimum of 11.

EE checked and said the speed to my router was 16.

Any ideas?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 05:23 PM

My Internet is £17 a month from the Three Network. No need for a phone socket just plug it in the mains and away you go. If you book a holiday cottage with no WiFi you can take the modem with you and plug it in there. It's hard wired into our desk computer but it's just a couple of wires to unplug if you want to move it. We get a good signal all over the house and outside, but it does depend on the coverage that network gets in your area. I can't copy n paste the link as I'm on my phone but I'll do it once I fire up the big computer. You can Google three WiFi though.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I have been on my landline today with EE Customer Services.

I have an issue with my package with them, which is broadband, landline and unlimited calls.

The broadband speed is very low at times and is intermittent of late.

I did a speed check 3 times and highest speed was 6.3, guaranteed minimum of 11.

EE checked and said the speed to my router was 16.

Any ideas?
Maybe a faulty router swimfeeders? If you are receiving broadband via wifi there could be problem there so the way to check that is to connect via a cable (ethernet) and then try a speed check. I had lots of problems with my broadband at one time and a BT engineer finally sorted it. He was saying though that any other wifi devices can cause problems with the broadband wifi, even microwave ovens can cause problems. Sometimes even just rebooting the router or switching everything off, leave for five minutes or so and the starting it all again will resolve problems. All worth a try to get reasonable speeds.

I guess EE would supply another router if you insisted that is what you reckon the problem is, assuming the router is one they supplied.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2019, 09:12 PM

Plusnet and EE are now divisions of BT, there doesn't seem much to choose between them.

I am with EE and would like to change to Giffgaff (my mobile providers) but I hate all the messing about with changing routers . I had a new router from EE a year ago when the old one burnt out .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2019, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
That's odd, when fibre to the home (NBN) arrived in this area, the copper was automatically disconnected so even if you only wanted a land line it went over the fibre.

The big advantage was no more line rental.

I suspect that BT is like our Telstra and the most expensive option available. I am sure you can shop around and get a better deal especially on your mobile phone.

Just to give you an idea the mobile phone company I am with offers unlimited texts and calls plus 1Gb of data for $10 (£5) a month. Personally I get 10Gb data, unlimited local and international calls and texts for $25 (£13) a month. So shop around.

I suspect my fibre data is more expensive than available in the UK I pay $79 (£40) a month for 500Gb data (inward) 100/40Mbs.
Baz46

20-11-2019, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That's odd, when fibre to the home (NBN) arrived in this area, the copper was automatically disconnected so even if you only wanted a land line it went over the fibre.

The big advantage was no more line rental.

I suspect that BT is like our Telstra and the most expensive option available. I am sure you can shop around and get a better deal especially on your mobile phone.

Just to give you an idea the mobile phone company I am with offers unlimited texts and calls plus 1Gb of data for $10 (£5) a month. Personally I get 10Gb data, unlimited local and international calls and texts for $25 (£13) a month. So shop around.

I suspect my fibre data is more expensive than available in the UK I pay $79 (£40) a month for 500Gb data (inward) 100/40Mbs.
Bruce, here in the UK our communications are the biggest rip-off going, BT being the worst of these I reckon. My landline is necessary to have broadband, I have not made one call on it in the last four years as the copper cables are now 47 years' old and well past replacement date, this causes very poor landline service so I use my mobile all the time for calls – £12 ($23) a month for free texts, unlimited calls and 250Gb data. The landline costs me a £19 ($36) a month but I pay a year up front so saving one month's rental.

The broadband is fibre to the box in the village, about half a mile (.8k) away, but from there it's copper to my house and partly on overhead cables. Fortunately I do get good speeds and it's unlimited data for which I pay £27 ($51) a month, so far from cheap in total.

If you happen to be a sports fan there is BT's sports channel, that's another payment. Then there's the worst of the worst and something that's been a rip-off for years, BT's 'connection charge'. This originates from decades ago when the telephone service was not automated. An operator actually used to plug into a switchboard to connect calls, that was charged for and that charge remains today even though it's now completely automated, at 12p per call I believe in addition to the cost per minute for the call itself, or it may be more as it's increased from 2p to 12p in the 13 years I have lived in my present house – that's how I remember it increasing like it has!

What I find is very annoying is that fibre has now been put in down the road outside but BT want an additional £10 ($19) a month to change me over to that fibre, plus no doubt a charge for putting the fibre right up to the house.

The UK is one of the most expensive rip-off countries to live in I reckon for everything, I only wish I had emigrated to Australia as I wanted to 50 years' ago now!

Apologies, rant over and no idea how to convert our 12p and 2p to Australian dollars, I guess it's about 24 cents and 4 cents, if that's even the currency term used.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top