Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 12:24 AM

Electric Planes

We all know about the electric cars being made now, but what about electric aeroplanes??

The first prototype for the world's first commercial passenger
plane has just been exhibited in the Parish Airshow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48630656

How do you feel about this?
Would you dare take a flight in one?

carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 12:43 AM

Re: Electric Planes

OK.

Yes.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 12:49 AM

My son just bought one of these new Mavic Mini drones, less than $600 and all electric.

I have always wanted a drone (no idea what for) so I was dead jealous. 1 gram under 250gm so it doesn't have to be registered.

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 12:56 AM

That's a bit different though Bruce.

You won't be flying in that.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 01:03 AM

I think there are a number of considerations.

Firstly, if electricity is to be the power source, the most obvious (perhaps the only) choice would be propeller driven motion. This would necessarily lead to much reduced speeds.

Accepting that, I think I'd prefer a helium-filled airship. That would ideally be propelled by electrically-driven propellers and the electrical supply could come from solar cells which could cover a large proportion of the large envelope, providing a larger power source. Flying at night, though, would be limited to what could be stored in batteries, which are heavy!

Another option would be to generate electricity by the provision of a nuclear reactor, but this of course has its drawbacks.

Yes, I'd take a flight in it, certainly an airship. Even if we run out of 'fuel' (electricity), it would not suddenly plummet to the ground.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
We all know about the electric cars being made now, but what about electric aeroplanes??

The first prototype for the world's first commercial passenger
plane has just been exhibited in the Parish Airshow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48630656

How do you feel about this?
Would you dare take a flight in one?

I think that to be truly environmentally friendly we should have clockwork planes that you can wind up. People could pay to wind them up as it's such a good workout. win:win
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 02:56 AM

In a word...Nup. If that is a word. Need a bloody big battery to get the thrust to get it off the ground. HOw do you get one that is strong but light enough?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's a bit different though Bruce.

You won't be flying in that.
That's true but it's a lot more fun.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
In a word...Nup. If that is a word. Need a bloody big battery to get the thrust to get it off the ground. HOw do you get one that is strong but light enough?
Fuel cell. That and / or hybrid. Gas turbine launch boost, electric once at altitude.

That - or a bloody long power cord!
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 02:01 PM

Hmmm … I think before electric passenger flights have been perfected we'll see the laser drive come to the fore and maybe even the impulse engines of space flight fiction. Many things seen now were once though of as fiction, so nothing can be ruled out and when push comes to shove the inventiveness of us humans often surprise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top