Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 03:11 PM

Another scam

This morning I received an email purportedly from TV Licensing saying that my direct debit had been declined by the bank for my TV licence and that if I didn't pay they would cancel my licence and report me to a debt collection agency!

The email has been deleted because:

a) our TV licence is in my husband's name not mine and isn't due for renewal until February - when it will be paid in full, not by direct debit

b) the licence number they gave was not the same as the one on our licence

Although I knew it was a scam it gave me quite a turn for a few minutes until I had found and checked our licence. So please everyone beware of this latest email scam!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 03:15 PM

Re: Another scam

Margaret, I had that one a couple of weeks ago, too.

I loathe these scammers who enjoy earning their living by conning innocent people.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Margaret, I had that one a couple of weeks ago, too.

I loathe these scammers who enjoy earning their living by conning innocent people.
I agree Mups - although we are always being told to be aware of scams some of these things come across as so realistic and if someone is taken unawares they could easily be taken in.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 03:18 PM

Good for you, Margaret, for not being caught out.

I don't know if you are watching 'Cold Call' on TV this week? It is about someone who was taken in by a scam call and one of the episodes features proposed scammers being trained to make convincing scam calls - disgusting!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
I agree Mups - although we are always being told to be aware of scams some of these things come across as so realistic and if someone is taken unawares they could easily be taken in.

Yes, that is true.

'Which' have a website that publishes the latest internet scams we need to be alert for.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...internet-scams
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 04:20 PM

I've had two or three of these and they're very obviously fakes from the outset.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

21-11-2019, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
Good for you, Margaret, for not being caught out.

I don't know if you are watching 'Cold Call' on TV this week? It is about someone who was taken in by a scam call and one of the episodes features proposed scammers being trained to make convincing scam calls - disgusting!
I haven't been watching that programme Last Tango - I missed the first episode so didn't watch the later ones - I had heard that it was very good though and a useful warning about scamming.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

21-11-2019, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I've had two or three of these and they're very obviously fakes from the outset.
They are obvious fakes to some people but possibly not to the unwary Tachyon so it's always useful to be forewarned of their existence I think.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

21-11-2019, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, that is true.

'Which' have a website that publishes the latest internet scams we need to be alert for.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...internet-scams
Thank you for the link Mups - a useful site!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 05:07 PM

Don't these people make you sick preying on the vulnerable..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top