Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 01:48 PM

Jamie Oliver's Restaurants close.

Jamie Oliver's restaurant chain has gone into administration with the loss of 1000 jobs and debts running into millions. After investing £4M this year, administrators say it needs another £4M. Oliver is estimated to be worth £150M so it's lucky he managed to squeeze in another £6M Elizabethan house in addition to his existing £10M house.

'I am devastated' tweeted Oliver.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48352026
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 01:56 PM

Re: Jamie Oliver's Restaurants close.

Originally, Jamie Oliver was only “deeply saddened” - it seem someone told him "That ain't enough, Jamie ..... "

https://www.theguardian.com/food/201...jamies-italian
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Originally, Jamie Oliver was only “deeply saddened” - it seem someone told him "That ain't enough, Jamie ..... "

https://www.theguardian.com/food/201...jamies-italian
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 02:12 PM

It makes you laugh at all them trendy celeb chefs, thinking we are all in thrall to their boring TV programmes, dumb cookery books, and above all, their horrendously overpriced restaurants. I for one will weep no tears for old "Pukka", only for the poor sods now out of work. He needs to dip into that £150 Mill, and give his staff a decent payoff. Won't hold my breath on that one!!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 02:26 PM

I must admit that, since the rise of the celebrity chefs, I made it a point of principle never, ever to buy anything that one of them was endorsing, be it sauces, kitchen gadgets or whatever, however suitable the item might have been.

I saw no reason for my hard-earned cash to pay over the odds for something just because a celebrity had put their name to it, and thereby give them cash in their pocket just for the use of their name.

This principle was rammed home one day when, at a friend's house, I was given a slice of a 'Mary Berry' name-endorsed cake, and the truth is, it was one of the worst cakes I had ever eaten!

That principle extends to anything else that has a celebrity name on it as well.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

22-05-2019, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
I must admit that, since the rise of the celebrity chefs, I made it a point of principle never, ever to buy anything that one of them was endorsing, be it sauces, kitchen gadgets or whatever, however suitable the item might have been.

I saw no reason for my hard-earned cash to pay over the odds for something just because a celebrity had put their name to it, and thereby give them cash in their pocket just for the use of their name.

This principle was rammed home one day when, at a friend's house, I was given a slice of a 'Mary Berry' name-endorsed cake, and the truth is, it was one of the worst cakes I had ever eaten!

That principle extends to anything else that has a celebrity name on it as well.
Yes, I have always gone along with that theory, a name is just a name, it doesn't mean it is any good, although I do quite like Levi Roots Reggae Reggae sauce.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

22-05-2019, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
It makes you laugh at all them trendy celeb chefs, thinking we are all in thrall to their boring TV programmes, dumb cookery books, and above all, their horrendously overpriced restaurants. I for one will weep no tears for old "Pukka", only for the poor sods now out of work. He needs to dip into that £150 Mill, and give his staff a decent payoff. Won't hold my breath on that one!!
I suppose he intends to move on to some other project now that he has finished stuffing health foods down kids' throats and now that his restaurants have closed.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, I have always gone along with that theory, a name is just a name, it doesn't mean it is any good, although I do quite like Levi Roots Reggae Reggae sauce.
I must admit I did try that when it first came on the market, years ago, (although to be fair he wasn't a celebrity as such), but I was very disappointed.

To me, it tasted like brown sauce with a bit of chilli in it. I gave it a miss after that.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

22-05-2019, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
I must admit I did try that when it first came on the market, years ago, (although to be fair he wasn't a celebrity as such), but I was very disappointed.

To me, it tasted like brown sauce with a bit of chilli in it. I gave it a miss after that.
I like anything spicy.
Pyxell
South of England

22-05-2019, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I like anything spicy.
Yes, but it's cheaper to buy some brown sauce and add a few drops of Tabasco, or similar!

One thing I do like is a Sacla pasta sauce thing called Fiery Chilli. It's not as hot as it sounds, (but you wouldn't want it to be like a vindaloo on pasta!), but it gives a pasta dish a lovely kick!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top