Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2012, 03:17 PM

Re: Corn- On- The- Cob

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
Our Iceland store is in another town and not easy to get too the store. See, using butter is going to make it quite fattening isnt it. Sounds nice though Uncle Joe I'll keep it in mind thanks.
Alison darlin' - of course butter, need it for the flavour. Besides I don't know the meaning of the word 'DIET', was never in my Lexicon.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2012, 09:21 PM

Well hubby had corn on the cob again tonight. This time I boiled it for 20 minutes and then when I served it up I put butter on it (Uncle Joe ) He said it wasn't bad when I cooked it in the oven but it was better boiled as it was easier to eat. I might try it again in the oven and put butter on it as I didn't do that originally.

I've got another one to cook tomorrow for him (I think he's getting fed up of them now ) Not sure how I will cook the next one. I might do it in the microwave on a plate with a bit of water.

Thank you all for the tips and help
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2012, 01:01 AM

I only boil it for 8 minutes... if you overdo it the corn isn't as tender.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2012, 06:30 AM

Buy? grow em, they grow like a weed.

Boiling is best (10 mins at most) but 1 or 2 minutes in the microwave is quicker - leave in the husk is preferable or cook in a container covered in gladwrap if no lid. Leave for a few minutes afterwards to even out the heat.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2012, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
Well hubby had corn on the cob again tonight. This time I boiled it for 20 minutes and then when I served it up I put butter on it (Uncle Joe ) He said it wasn't bad when I cooked it in the oven but it was better boiled as it was easier to eat. I might try it again in the oven and put butter on it as I didn't do that originally.

I've got another one to cook tomorrow for him (I think he's getting fed up of them now ) Not sure how I will cook the next one. I might do it in the microwave on a plate with a bit of water.

Thank you all for the tips and help

Alison darlin' PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be VERY CAREFUL cooking sweet corn in a microwave - ever seen 'popcorn' being made??? - want that to happen inside your microwave???

Now that you have found a good and SAFE method to cook your corn on the cob, best to stay with that!!!
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2012, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
I only boil it for 8 minutes... if you overdo it the corn isn't as tender.
Thanks Annie Jack, I probably over cooked it then
Alicat
West Berkshire

29-09-2012, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Buy? grow em, they grow like a weed.

Boiling is best (10 mins at most) but 1 or 2 minutes in the microwave is quicker - leave in the husk is preferable or cook in a container covered in gladwrap if no lid. Leave for a few minutes afterwards to even out the heat.
Thanks Bruce, were not in for growing stuff. Will give it a go boiling in the microwave.
Alicat
West Berkshire

29-09-2012, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Alison darlin' PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be VERY CAREFUL cooking sweet corn in a microwave - ever seen 'popcorn' being made??? - want that to happen inside your microwave???

Now that you have found a good and SAFE method to cook your corn on the cob, best to stay with that!!!
Thank you for thinking of my welfare Uncle Joe, bless you. Mum's carer cooks her corn on the cob in the microwave with a little water and a lid on it, probably in a pyrex bowl. If I do get to do it that way I will be very careful thanks. I probably will stick with boiling it for now though. Thanks again.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2012, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->

Hang on, have you actually tried it? It takes at least 2 minutes using a special package which actually heats up to make pop corn from the dried kernels in your microwave.

Putting fresh corn cobs in the microwave (covered - note the instructions) for 1 minute (or 2 depending on your microwave) will not make them explode.

Personally I prepare boiled eggs in my microwave - now they will explode unless done properly - there is no time advantage just more convenient.

Microwave ovens have to be the best kitchen appliance ever! (along with the rice cooker perhaps )
Alicat
West Berkshire

30-09-2012, 01:22 PM

Well I did my last corn on the cob for hubby for dinner this afternoon (that's not all he had ). I boiled it for 8 minutes and then smarmed butter on it, he said it was very nice.

I bet you're all sick to death about me and corn on the cob now . That was my last one for sometime now plus hubby wants a break from them having one three days in a row He's enjoyed them all the same.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top