Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Caedmon
Hull, England
Caedmon is male  Caedmon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2012, 01:32 PM

Re: Halogen ovens help please

I used mine very infrequently over the 15 months I had it before it made a noise like a wartime siren and exploded showering a chicken with glass fragments etc. The large bowl comes in handy however - I would not buy another.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2012, 07:11 PM

I purchased one of the original aluminium versions, from one of those price drop sites, several years ago. It does not have the glass bowl the more modern ones do, and seems to be wider/deeper but otherwise basically the same. Mine came without a book too but simply used it the same as normal oven and was fine. It is brilliant for mixed grills/breakfasts/fry up as you can cook everything distributed over the two levels of grill. Chicken cooks superbly and the skin comes out paper thin and crispy beyond belief. Roast potatoes, scrummy - and little or no oil/fat, yorkshires the same, oh and as for reheating pies forget the micro and its resultant soggy bottoms!! I often give big pots a 10 min zap in the micro then finish in my halogen to achieve a really hard crispy and tasty outer skin and wonderfully soft fluffy insides.

Then disaster, last week our HA decided that our flats had to be rewired to comply with EU or some-such, guff, and the first time we tried to use the oven after they had finished, it tripped the electrics in the kitchen, sockets, light everything died. At first we thought it was something wrong with that particular socket so called the electricians back, who proceeded to first try other things in that socket (I know, we should have thought of that ourselves well doh!), then tried the cooker in other sockets which had the same result. He could not explain it, except to say that the newer wiring/fuse box or whatever was more 'sensitive' than the old one, and was therefore more likely to react to problems. Anyway result was we could no longer use my trustworthy 'swirly thing' as it had affectionately been named.

Then OH JOY was once again cruising the shopping channels prior to going to bed night before last, and there they were, demonstrating a Russell Hobbs one, latest version, with all the extras for under £45.! Called my son to see as he works for well known (and successful electrical goods outlet) and he said even with his discount and any reductions available he could not get me one for that price. So ordered it. Funny thing is that even this high end version does not come with recipe book!
Marieannettez
Essex
Marieannettez is female 

18-02-2013, 02:07 PM

I have one , i bought it to use temporarily whilst my oven got repaired. Still using it. I haven,t cooked a casserole in it , I use my slow cooker for that. But I must say the halogen oven has really done well and I believe it is cheaper on electric.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2013, 06:43 PM

just a thought but Amazon has several recipe books for these now, many of them under a tenner.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2013, 12:23 PM

I got one after reading all the enthusiastic comments on another site or two.

I prefer my meat cooked in regular oven, finding halogen oven brown the outside too quick, and you think it looks done and find it isn't.
When it is cooked through the texture doesn't seem so good to us.

Have tried making a victoria sponge cake with mixed results, and can only do one layer at a time, so prefer to put one in the oven while oven is hot from sunday roast.

It is a large item to stand on worktop, haven't got enough cupboard space to put it away.
Nowadays I only use it if I want to cook a large volume of sausages. For the 2 of us, I use a browning dish in the microwave, or toastie maker grill.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2013, 12:35 PM

My husband uses ours and makes all sorts of things in it, I hate it with a passion as it's impossible not to burn myself when I try to get foods out of it. I think he has more sucess because he is taller.
ratbag
UK
ratbag is female  ratbag has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2013, 01:39 AM

I love mine use it for all our joints they come out so moist , also use if for grilling its so easy to clean too.
The recipe book we got with ours is pretty useless but there is a video on youtube that shows you how to cook things in it .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top