Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2012, 07:45 PM

Re: White Bread = Death!

I try to limit myself to just two slices of bread a day because I am Diabetic and bread does make my sugar levels go up. I must admit in the olden days when the bakers used to make their own bread and the smell you come down the street, it was lovely, just like the Advert with the Hovis boy.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2012, 09:43 PM

I agree about bought white bread being very gooey. We make our own bread in a breadmaking machine using half white and half wholemeal flour. It does go off quite quickly but I always cut the loaf in half and put half in the freezer - it seems to work OK>
HeatherMK
Milton Keynes, UK
HeatherMK is female  HeatherMK has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2012, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I try to limit myself to just two slices of bread a day because I am Diabetic and bread does make my sugar levels go up. I must admit in the olden days when the bakers used to make their own bread and the smell you come down the street, it was lovely, just like the Advert with the Hovis boy.
I am also diabetic and follow a low carb diet. I don't eat bread at all. I just love the smell of it baking though!
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2012, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
My parents ate white bread all their lives and lived to 92 and 96. Its just another food scare thats all.
But your parents for most of their lives didn't eat the MODERN form of WHEAT.

Nor for most of their lives was their bread made by the chorleywood process.

When your parents were young they would not have known anyone with celiac disease nor would they have known anyone with ADHD or autistic spectrum disorders.

Presence of celiac disease epitopes in modern and old hexaploid wheat varieties: wheat breeding may have contributed to increased prevalence of celiac disease

Since the change in wheat breeding it is safe to say the rates of gluten sensitivity conditions double every 20 years or so.

Similarly one in three adults has raised blood pressure – a condition that causes around half of all deaths from stroke and heart disease.

One in 10 adults has diabetes.

Your parents lived in a different world where most of the food they ate was LESS PROCESSED and closer to the natural raw ingredients.

There has been a dramatic increase in the conditions that trigger heart disease and other chronic illnesses and most of those are triggered by the changes in the quality of the foods we consume.

The country cannot afford to carry on with the current rate of increase in diabetes, heart disease, cancer and dementia. We are not able to give everyone with diabetes or dementia the amount of care they currently require and cutbacks are bound to occur in care over the next few years.

We have to consider how best to prevent the current trend for increases in chronic disabling diseases.

Reducing our consumption of sugar and those foods that metabolise down to sugar is probably the most cost effective way to prevent diabetes and dementia.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2012, 03:06 AM

I must admit that after eating wholemeal loaves for over 40 years I find a sandwich made with white bread a little disconcerting - looks so anaemic. However I love the white crispy rolls from the local Vietnamese bread shop and as for white bread = death... yea right! More likely to die of induced boredom from long posts...

TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2012, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by TedHutchinson ->
But your parents for most of their lives didn't eat the MODERN form of WHEAT.

Nor for most of their lives was their bread made by the chorleywood process.

When your parents were young they would not have known anyone with celiac disease nor would they have known anyone with ADHD or autistic spectrum disorders.

Presence of celiac disease epitopes in modern and old hexaploid wheat varieties: wheat breeding may have contributed to increased prevalence of celiac disease

Since the change in wheat breeding it is safe to say the rates of gluten sensitivity conditions double every 20 years or so.

Similarly one in three adults has raised blood pressure – a condition that causes around half of all deaths from stroke and heart disease.

One in 10 adults has diabetes.

Your parents lived in a different world where most of the food they ate was LESS PROCESSED and closer to the natural raw ingredients.

There has been a dramatic increase in the conditions that trigger heart disease and other chronic illnesses and most of those are triggered by the changes in the quality of the foods we consume.

The country cannot afford to carry on with the current rate of increase in diabetes, heart disease, cancer and dementia. We are not able to give everyone with diabetes or dementia the amount of care they currently require and cutbacks are bound to occur in care over the next few years.

We have to consider how best to prevent the current trend for increases in chronic disabling diseases.

Reducing our consumption of sugar and those foods that metabolise down to sugar is probably the most cost effective way to prevent diabetes and dementia.
Still think its all a load of rubbish. There have always been food scares and there always will be. I eat what I want and will continue to do so and surprise surprise I am still here with no health problems. If you are gullible enough to believe it all then thats up to you. Food scares are like your long posts boring and best ignored IMO.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK

22-11-2012, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
S. Food scares are like your long posts boring and best ignored IMO.
I'd be very pleased if you did just that. Add my name to the site's ignore facility and you will totally avoid having read my posts and even better you wouldn't be tempted to reply to them.

For those who do want to understand how better to avoid chronic illnesses associated with faulty glucose metabolism (cancer, diabetes, dementia) in the future here is a summary of Dr Davis's book WHEATBELLY
Book Summary: Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2012, 11:51 AM

I'd be very pleased if you did just that. Add my name to the site's ignore facility and you will totally avoid having read my posts and even better you wouldn't be tempted to reply to them.[/url][/U][/B]
I will reply to what I want thank you. I'm looking forward to my cheese and pickle sandwich at lunchtime on white bread
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2012, 12:00 PM

I'd be very pleased if you did just that. Add my name to the site's ignore facility and you will totally avoid having read my posts and even better you wouldn't be tempted to reply to them.
You certainly know how to win friends and influence people Ted...

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top