Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2014, 01:48 PM

Re: Weight training and the over 50s

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes yoga is great several people I know keep supple (much more important than muscle) as they age using it.

Heard good things about pilates too but not looked into that really.
I personally prefer pilates to yoga, I found yoga boring.
But my favorite form of exercise is Zumba.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2014, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
I personally prefer pilates to yoga, I found yoga boring.
But my favorite form of exercise is Zumba.

I'd like to try Pilates too Pats.

I believe meditation is very good for us too, Yoga or otherwise. I thought it summed it up best when I read:
" It teaches us how to let go of the constant chatter in your mind, achieve clarity, perform at your best, worry less, heal faster, sleep better, improve relationships, and feel much more calm, confident and content".
I must practice harder!
Thumper133
New Member!
USA
Thumper133 is male 

12-04-2014, 07:51 AM

Interesting question. I just turned 63 and I've dealt with tougher recovery time now but I'm still managing to workout and lift light weights 3 to 4 days a week.

The days of me bench pressing 300 LBS are long gone. Now I mostly try to do body weight exercises such as push-ups and pull-ups, but I also workout with barbells up to 35 LBS. On alternate days if the weather allows I try to bicycle or even take long walks with the dog on the beach.

What I've found most helpful for me to avoid muscle damage and have better recovery times is to alternate the type of weight training I do with different exercises and different methods of exercising. Oh ... and if you can convince a lovely lady to massage your sore muscles it will most definitely help your muscle recovery! ... Be well.
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2015, 08:35 PM

I still play rudby and still have the odd bout in the ring , train nornaly 4 to 5 days aweek depending baby sitting my grandsons
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2015, 11:06 PM

I lift 11 stones every time i get out of bed in a morning ,
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2015, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
I lift 11 stones every time i get out of bed in a morning ,
Nice one Eliza
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2015, 11:34 AM

My hubby is quite fit at 61 yrs, he still has the weights upstairs, but he doesn't use them anymore, his job is lifting and hand balling things from his works Truck on a daily basis, so i suppose he's still big and strong.
I myself are quite strong and use to do Karate in the 80's and i'm still as agile, although my weight doesn't help these days!
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2015, 03:03 PM

I'm 60 this year and have no trouble with 2 or 3 one-hour sessions a week at the gym, though it's all hydraulic machines and there are no weights.

I work quite hard and emerge tired but happy. I never have any trouble with soreness, though it depends on what the OP calls "a good workout session" I suppose.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top