Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 08:00 PM

Re: Flour Weevils.

Oh Silver Tabby, I wish I hadn't come back to have a look at this post.... I already threw out all the flour, now I have to go and check everything in the cupboard! Booklice - I'm sure I've seen them in really old books.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2014, 01:50 AM

Flour mites are now seldom seen because of the methods used in refining flour. This is why, in old recipe books, one is told to sift the flour, but there's really no need these days.

We all eat bugs. Care should be taken when preparing and cooking chicken (for example) as six out of 10 chickens are infected with compylobater which can kill or at the very least make you extremely ill, so the preparation of chicken has to be scrupulous. Not only should it be washed before preparation, but then all surfaces such as wall tiles, chopping boards and work surfaces should be scrubbed to lessen contamination.

I know this thread was about flour weevils, but a salient point about food/drink awareness, is that nobody should drink directly from a can, be it soft drink, lager etc. These items are mainly stored in cellars before being brought up to the shop or pub and, the possibility is that those environments have rats which can pee, or otherwise, on the cans. The cans aren't cleaned before sale so the drinker is open to Weil's Disease. All cans, including tins of beans, soups etc should have their tops cleaned thoroughly before opening.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2014, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Flour mites are now seldom seen because of the methods used in refining flour. This is why, in old recipe books, one is told to sift the flour, but there's really no need these days.
The foremost reason for sifting flour was to add air to the flour which helps produce lighter cakes and pastry.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2014, 07:52 AM

Good point about the canned goods, Mollie. I always wash the tops of cans before putting them away for that very reason.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top