Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2014, 11:15 AM

Re: What Sort Of Meals Did Your Mum Concoct

Originally Posted by Clementy ->
Can I confess that I like my cabbage soft and mushy, (no bicarb) old habits die hard. I eat plenty of other veg to compensate.
... no Clementy , how could you
I like mine green and firm ....
Clementy
London, UK
Clementy is female 

05-09-2014, 11:22 AM

It's the only one honest!! I'm thinking of getting one of those Nutrabullet blenders so that I can make some veggie smoothies. I don't like Kale very much but I know it's an exceptional vegetable, perhaps if it's mixed with some other ingredients I wouldn't find it so bitter.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2014, 02:33 PM

My mother made a concoction she called German Spaghetti.

She fried bacon. Browned onion, crumbled up the bacon. added it to Campbels Tomato soup and mixed it in a pot of spaghetti. It's pretty good! I have made it on occasions.

Then there was some sort of odeous rutabaga (swede) stew she called toof-la-fruka.. Or something like that. It was horrible. I could never find out what that meant.. or if it is a real word or something she made up.

Like my cabbage soft and mixed up with smushed boiled potatoes.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2014, 02:59 PM

I remember going to University-I could not cook,I could not afford to take girls out. It was forget chemistry and teach yourself to cook. At the end of year one I got a `pass` in chemistry and switched to Psychology. At the end of my second first year I got a 1st and well just let us say some girls rather took a shine to a man who cooked for her. Nothing whatsover to do with my mum.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2014, 06:47 PM

not so much concocted but my mum would make us all a pile of chips then put them in newspaper so the other kids thought we had plenty of money to buy from the local chippy!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2014, 04:36 AM

My mum was a marvellous cook, albeit a very plain cook. She would bake cakes, biscuits, something she called currant cake which was a sort of flat bake made from flour, lard and sugar (I think) with currants in it. Is that Lardy Cake? It would come out of the oven and immediately my dad would dive on it, smother it with butter, then eat it.

She also made us lovely meals as well - never a starter, but a main meal with a dessert - even though she worked as well, so I guess we were pretty well-fed.

My passion is cooking, and I love experimenting, mostly with satisfactory results but, unlike mum, I use herbs and spices which is something she'd never have dreamed of using.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2014, 07:24 AM

For some reason, the only thing that springs to mind is Egg and Chips, home made of course.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2014, 11:53 AM

always a winner!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2014, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
always a winner!
..made with beef dripping and oh so crisp like my Dad used to make yum..
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

06-09-2014, 01:04 PM

I cook my roast potatoes in beef dripping, they taste wonderful

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top