Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 04:04 PM

Re: Parkrun

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Tell him it's all that nattering causing the cough
I will, I will.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
The introduction of the Parkrun in my area has resulted in an explosion of interest in running. Our club is massive now compared to being on its last legs 3 years ago. More are showing interest in running like never before. When you take into account the weight lost by many of our own club's new recruits that is a staggering achievement in itself.

3 years ago, on a good night, we would have 5-6 people turning up but now this can be over 50! The club has also introduced a walking group and this again is proving very popular - even my sisters are taking part.

The impact of this free to enter weekly event is immense. Loads are taking part who are overweight. I have heard stories too of it helping depressed individuals as it is more than just a running event being far more a social event for many.

As for certain people being paid I don't know the amounts but I do know the money isn't coming from the runners themselves therefore it shouldn't be considered a 'business'. There are sponsors and donations made but this is very open and the amounts can be found on their website.

I can see that concerns could be raised if certain runs become too popular. It would make sense to take steps to protect non-runners and to reduce any damage to council property it this was the case. I'm sure most of the public would go along with any proposals and there would be plenty of volunteers to help the council.

Probably the kiss of death to take away the amatueur status of the event. Sponsorship seems enough to me. Keep it simple and free - it works.
Presumably, all of the runners have to make their way to the park (probably by car), incurring costs, buy their running kit, incurring costs, and partake of pre- and post-event refreshment, incurring costs, so why are they making a fuss about making a contribution to the upkeep of the facility which they monopolise for 2 hours every week .....

If these runners were to use a proper track instead of (presumably) pedestrian tarmac they would obviously incur a cost, but it would only be in the low hundreds (or less) for a couple of hours, so why don't (even some of) these thousands pay 50p or a £1 as a gesture of goodwill and appreciation of the work that has to be carried out by the park administrators and employees .....
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 07:33 PM

What real ray of sunshine you are OMAH.
Bless.
Smile.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
What real ray of sunshine you are OMAH.
Bless.
Smile.
I know .....

If these "parkrunners" are saying that they're only running because the event is "free" then that doesn't say much about their motivation or commitment, does it .....
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

15-04-2016, 08:01 PM

Surely though parks where set up for people who lived in back to back housing for some fresh air and greenery, so if these people are using them for two MEASLY hours per week aren"t they fulfilling their purpose.

Would you rather they be populated Druggies [as is round here]so
that other people don"t feel comfortable going there anymore??
Sundodger
Spain
Sundodger is male  Sundodger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 08:08 PM

This puts it into perspective - taken from another forum I use:

The park at Stoke Gifford is not council run. I live in a village with a lot of serving and ex serving guys I've been chair of our village hall and recreation ground for five years. We receive NO support from local authority or the "taxpayer". The land was left to the village in perpetuity. The village funded a new hall ten years ago and we fund raise for everything from replacing toilet rolls to cutting the grass. We have full indemnity insurance covering organised events authorised by the hall. We charge football/rugby/cricket teams - mainly for the use of the changing rooms and we charge for the use of the hall for parties, concerts etc. Last year we raised over £30k to replace and upgrade the worn out kiddies playground and provide picnic tables for parents. To replace using contractors would have been circa £70k. Buying the kit and doing it ourselves then getting certification from insurers cut the cost by over half. The group was led and mostly manned by serving guys (army and RAF). We encourage use by individuals and by small ad hoc groups kids rugby and cricket practice etc. What would be a detriment would be 150 plus lycra clad "people" filling the car park so the play group can't function and charging round the field two or three days a week. A year of that and there would be churned up areas that would be (a) unusable and (b) unsafe. The other matter is liability if one of the runners slips and injures themselves. I understand Park Run don't carry suitable insurance (you run at your own risk) and our insurers believe it is an organised event and unless there is a "hire agreement" it is not our responsibility. Park run say they collect litter - what they don't say is they deposit the litter in the nearest bins. Our bins aren't council bins. We have to pay commercial rates for waste removal and have a big dumpster bin. 150 runners water bottles, and mars bar wrappers and worn out trainers and elasticated bandages twice a week would double the emptying costs. They also have no regard for other users and really do take over the paths, car parks and access areas. Laudable as Park Run may seem, they are taking over facilities run by voluntary self funded organisations and not providing any support or recompense to those groups for wear and tear (reseeding, re-levelling and filling depressions, litter collection). We have a group of runners in the village - ad hoc but dedicated. They raise money for local charities too - they are grown ups and arrange their own runs. Surprisingly they don't feel the need to be part of some flash mob thing and have people encouraging them and saying "well done" for making it twice round a football pitch in an hour.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

15-04-2016, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sundodger ->
This puts it into perspective - taken from another forum I use:

The park at Stoke Gifford is not council run. I live in a village with a lot of serving and ex serving guys I've been chair of our village hall and recreation ground for five years. We receive NO support from local authority or the "taxpayer". The land was left to the village in perpetuity. The village funded a new hall ten years ago and we fund raise for everything from replacing toilet rolls to cutting the grass. We have full indemnity insurance covering organised events authorised by the hall. We charge football/rugby/cricket teams - mainly for the use of the changing rooms and we charge for the use of the hall for parties, concerts etc. Last year we raised over £30k to replace and upgrade the worn out kiddies playground and provide picnic tables for parents. To replace using contractors would have been circa £70k. Buying the kit and doing it ourselves then getting certification from insurers cut the cost by over half. The group was led and mostly manned by serving guys (army and RAF). We encourage use by individuals and by small ad hoc groups kids rugby and cricket practice etc. What would be a detriment would be 150 plus lycra clad "people" filling the car park so the play group can't function and charging round the field two or three days a week. A year of that and there would be churned up areas that would be (a) unusable and (b) unsafe. The other matter is liability if one of the runners slips and injures themselves. I understand Park Run don't carry suitable insurance (you run at your own risk) and our insurers believe it is an organised event and unless there is a "hire agreement" it is not our responsibility. Park run say they collect litter - what they don't say is they deposit the litter in the nearest bins. Our bins aren't council bins. We have to pay commercial rates for waste removal and have a big dumpster bin. 150 runners water bottles, and mars bar wrappers and worn out trainers and elasticated bandages twice a week would double the emptying costs. They also have no regard for other users and really do take over the paths, car parks and access areas. Laudable as Park Run may seem, they are taking over facilities run by voluntary self funded organisations and not providing any support or recompense to those groups for wear and tear (reseeding, re-levelling and filling depressions, litter collection). We have a group of runners in the village - ad hoc but dedicated. They raise money for local charities too - they are grown ups and arrange their own runs. Surprisingly they don't feel the need to be part of some flash mob thing and have people encouraging them and saying "well done" for making it twice round a football pitch in an hour.
Thanks very much - that really does give us the reality behind the hype .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

15-04-2016, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Surely though parks where set up for people who lived in back to back housing for some fresh air and greenery, so if these people are using them for two MEASLY hours per week aren"t they fulfilling their purpose.
You're saying that all "parkrunners" live in "back to back housing" .....

"Get offa da path, dog walker"
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

16-04-2016, 01:07 PM

You know I am not Omah,.
I said" Parks were provided for people who LIVED not LIVE in Back to back houses , so they could green some fresh air and getout of some of the unsanitary conditions they lived in about 100 years ago.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2016, 01:52 PM

The Parkrun could become the victim of it's own success. There is always a time when a club, or event, reaches a tipping point because of being unable to cope with success (numbers). No-way the Parkrun will finish but it might have to evolve to continue in the near future. Who knows there could well be a charge brought in in some areas. It could be a good thing as payment could bring exclusive rights for an hour or 2 to a Park which would probably be better for all concerned.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top