Join for free
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2010, 03:08 PM

Yorkshire puddings

Well I usually buy the frozen Aunt Bessie ones, always have, but the other day I went shopping and for the first time I bought Tesco's Finest Yorkshire Puddings (frozen) and hubby loved them. He said "are these Aunt Bessies?" I said "no, they're Tescos Finest", he said "they're lovely, better than the Aunt Bessies". He was really taken with them and kept going on about them so I shall get some more next time I go too Tescos.

A bit of useless information I know but just thought I would share with you all.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2010, 03:54 PM

Re: Yorkshire puddings

Probably all the flavour enhancers in there

Sorry Alicat you know me - natural home made from scratch is the best/healthiest imo

*runs before I get beat up!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2010, 04:13 PM

I think Aunt Bessie's and Tesco's Finest are OK (Tesco's may just have the edge). I have bought both, but like Azz I usually make my own. They seem more substantial somehow. I make mine with strong plain flour, eggs, water and seasoning. I never use milk. Beat up and leave to stand in the fridge for a couple of hours and then into hot fat/hot oven. I think it must be one of the easiest recipes to cook - I am a reluctant cook these days, but I don't mind doing Yorkshires.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2010, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Probably all the flavour enhancers in there

Sorry Alicat you know me - natural home made from scratch is the best/healthiest imo

*runs before I get beat up!
Azz, do you have Whole Foods Market in the UK? Everything organic, no additives or nasty preservatives in their prepared foods. And of course the meat, fruit, veggies, cheeses, etc. are all organic too. I do prefer home made, but sometimes it's nice to just buy something that's already fixed ......
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2010, 10:30 PM

I know what you all mean about cooking from scratch but I just can't cook to save my life, I just loathe cooking. Even my Christmas lunches are bought ones. My Mum is a brilliant cook and cooks everything from scratch, you think she would have taught me to cook wouldn't you! I've never cooked an omelette, never made a cake. I just need to be taught really basic cooking.

I know home cooking is best Azz.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2010, 11:13 PM

I used to wonder how they made them at the Toby Carvery, when you went to get your meal from the buffet. Whacking great things like dinner plates. I suppose they must have used a bicycle pump to blow the buggers up!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2010, 12:26 AM

Alicat - I'm not much of a cook myself but hate the thought of eating all the crap they put in our food that I force myself to try to make stuff. It isn't always nice, usually bland but it does me

DM - I think there are some of those in London, and we have organic sections in our supermarkets - tho I don't always get organic, it's just too expensive. :-/

John - isn't yorkshire pudding just flour and milk?
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2010, 06:12 PM

I make my own but I can see good reasons for getting them in. My mate David(I`ve known him since I was 4)has 4 children and a bucket load of Grandchildren-Christmas for him and Joyce means 30 mouths to feed so I can forgive him not making his own puds or roast potatoes

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top