Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 10:52 PM

Does anyone seriously believe Huawei pose a threat to USA security?

When you consider Facebook, Google, Apple, Microsoft etc are openly logging everything we read, write, photo, listen to and move to.
I find it absolutely ridiculous that USA are warning us that Huawei hardware to support a much needed 5G transport layer in the UK is a USA security concern.

Do our or their security services have to use 5G anyway?

I think a far simpler explanation is that the USA have nothing better to compete with Huawei and are now losing the tech race to China. Oh dear!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 11:07 PM

Re: Does anyone seriously believe Huawei pose a threat to USA security?

Originally Posted by Reality1 ->
When you consider Facebook, Google, Apple, Microsoft etc are openly logging everything we read, write, photo, listen to and move to.
I find it absolutely ridiculous that USA are warning us that Huawei hardware to support a much needed 5G transport layer in the UK is a USA security concern.

Do our or their security services have to use 5G anyway?

I think a far simpler explanation is that the USA have nothing better to compete with Huawei and are now losing the tech race to China. Oh dear!
I agree. Huawei is supplanting the much vaunted iPhone on the technology front as well as price. The US trying to put pressure on other countries to boycott the Huawei 5G roll-out is just another bully-boy tactic to maintain US dominance over the Chinese who are in the ascendant.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 11:31 PM

Who knows what's going on these days and does anyone care anymore? I mean who on earth has the patience to monitor the daily life trivia of millions of people?
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Huawei is supplanting the much vaunted iPhone on the technology front as well as price. .

I have an Honor 9 lite made by Hauwei, it's fab and cost about £119, the equivalent iphone would retail at about £500+ and would be made in China.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Who knows what's going on these days and does anyone care anymore? I mean who on earth has the patience to monitor the daily life trivia of millions of people?
This I agree with and believe is what all this comes down to for many 'ordinary' people. As far as 5g goes I cannot even get a signal on 4g to make and receive calls, many rural villages like where I live have this problem. Fortunately this one does have good broadband speeds as it was one of the few chosen to receive broadband via fibre, at least up to the green BT box down the road.

To get a good mobile reception I have to walk five or six houses up the road to where I can see three or four massive transmitters but who wants to do that in our weather?

My mobile signal relies now on wi-fi, 'piggy-backing' the broadband. No 4g signal is received in the house or garden. If my overhead BT lines comes down I have no means of using my mobile at home at all.

With regard to the iPhone, yes they like all Apple Macintosh devices are not cheap to buy, as a user I would like to see prices come down but supply and demand come into this. I've used Apple Macintosh computers since the 1980s and iPhones for the last eight or nine years. The main reason for using Macs and iPhones is quite simply that they work very well and together too, this is without all the seeming problems users of other PCs have with Microsoft upgrades etc. The publishing industry, in which I worked before retirement, always used Macs, at one time that was all that existed so that was the industry standard. The Apple versus Microsoft area is something too involved to get into on here so I will not comment any further.

For those who may not know too much about 5g there is plenty online to aid this, one of the links I found is below if anyone is interested:

http://kadenzsearch.com/5g-what-is-i...eally-need-it/
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 07:44 AM

I am not entirely sure that monitoring of you lot by the Chinese Government is the only threat western governments are worried about, it is the ability to shut down the network via a 'backdoor' in the event of conflict or to spy on commercial secrets that is the concern.

I doubt the Chinese government is much interested in your call to Tescos ordering your groceries.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 08:05 AM

I would never buy Huawei .... ever !
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I would never buy Huawei .... ever !
Why not?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 08:53 AM

Both my phone and my tablet are Huawei and are great I much prefer them to the Apple ones I used to use.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Why not?
Because in China, manufacturers are duty bound to hand over data to the state when required.

In the case of 5G, this isn't just about phone calls on mobile phones, it is also all the data that is sent and received to any device using the Huawei 5G infrastructure.

This data includes, secret government information, missile guidance, satellite comms etc etc, and, when you think this information can be accessed by the Chinese state and even sold to other countries they are politically aligned to (i.e. Russia) it poses a huge threat to the security and safety of our country.

The other part that really worries me is that the EU is going to be using Huawei, which will isolate the EU member states from the USA (an other NATO allies) who use Verizon. The USA recently blew out Huawei and by doing so, contributed to the trade war with China to an extent.

If we use Huawei then quite simply we are aligning ourselves further to the EU and removing the close partnership and data sharing we have with our allies such as New Zealand, Australia, Canada (5 eyes) and segregating integration with their platforms because of the breach of trust Huawei gives. By allowing the Chinese State access to our data, would mean they can theoretically access the networks of our allies.

So no - I would never support Huawei in this country. We should implement our own 5G networks with BT and integrate them with Verizon.

Australia booted Huwawei out for these reasons just recently and I think New Zealandd did too. If you include the USA, 3 of the 5 countries in the 5 Eyes partnership won't touch Huawei with a barge pole and neither should we.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top