Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 10:08 AM

Re: Does anyone seriously believe Huawei pose a threat to USA security?

DId you watch the documentary about it, Bread ? A very revealing programme, and so much more than faster broadband !

As you say , China government insists on data being handed over.

There are already trials going on in Liverpool for this, and in the agricultural sector of the south west of the country. Plus a lot more places for different purposes I imagine.

It is VAST and is part of everything we do in life. Electric cars will be programmed to it, the street lights, signals. ail networks, everything and in one move or even error, the whole country could in the worst case scenario, be brought to a standstill, and become dysfunctional, ideal for taking out countries, and probably why US is so adamant we don't go the Chinese way !

Think if the implications, and I wonder if this is what Edward Snowden unearthed.... because whatever it was it affected all of us !

I wouldn't mind betting that the next move would be implants of computer chips at birth.. Seems ridiculous but ever more possible and a way they could control population too.

Found it. 25 minutes of enlightenment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...click-5g-whizz
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Because in China, manufacturers are duty bound to hand over data to the state when required.

In the case of 5G, this isn't just about phone calls on mobile phones, it is also all the data that is sent and received to any device using the Huawei 5G infrastructure.

– Snip –
@Bread – thanks for all that information, put like that too it's understandable why there are objections. A lot of this I hadn't realised, as I feel sure others hadn't either.

As I posted earlier in this thread, it's about time 4g was sorted out for people such as myself who still cannot receive coverage at home. As you write BT should be working on this and integrated with Verizon to get our own 5g infrastructure. There would also be a lot of jobs created by this, another plus for this country.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
@Bread – thanks for all that information, put like that too it's understandable why there are objections. A lot of this I hadn't realised, as I feel sure others hadn't either.

As I posted earlier in this thread, it's about time 4g was sorted out for people such as myself who still cannot receive it at home. As you write BT should be working on this and integrated with Verizon to get our own 5g infrastructure. There would also be a lot of jobs created by this, another plus for this country.
Here Baz , in case you missed it in my post. :

Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->

@Puddle Duck

Indeed I did miss your post, that must have been posted as I was compiling mine on screen, so thanks, will have a look at that now.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
This I agree with and believe is what all this comes down to for many 'ordinary' people. As far as 5g goes I cannot even get a signal on 4g to make and receive calls, many rural villages like where I live have this problem. Fortunately this one does have good broadband speeds as it was one of the few chosen to receive broadband via fibre, at least up to the green BT box down the road.

To get a good mobile reception I have to walk five or six houses up the road to where I can see three or four massive transmitters but who wants to do that in our weather?

My mobile signal relies now on wi-fi, 'piggy-backing' the broadband. No 4g signal is received in the house or garden. If my overhead BT lines comes down I have no means of using my mobile at home at all.

With regard to the iPhone, yes they like all Apple Macintosh devices are not cheap to buy, as a user I would like to see prices come down but supply and demand come into this. I've used Apple Macintosh computers since the 1980s and iPhones for the last eight or nine years. The main reason for using Macs and iPhones is quite simply that they work very well and together too, this is without all the seeming problems users of other PCs have with Microsoft upgrades etc. The publishing industry, in which I worked before retirement, always used Macs, at one time that was all that existed so that was the industry standard. The Apple versus Microsoft area is something too involved to get into on here so I will not comment any further.

For those who may not know too much about 5g there is plenty online to aid this, one of the links I found is below if anyone is interested:

http://kadenzsearch.com/5g-what-is-i...eally-need-it/
Thanks for the link Baz, very interesting, I didn't have a clue....
I thought it must be about the speed, but it's so much more.
I just wonder that the more we get reliant on this high tech stuff the more we will suffer when it all goes t$ts up......and it will, as sure as eggs is eggs...
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 10:35 AM

It's my opinion that the concern, justified or otherwise, is not about network traffic but instead about ensuring that networks can't be tampered with in a way that might interrupt or degrade the traffic that is being carried.

The actual data or voice that is carried will have been encrypted to the Nth. degree before it is even launched from its origin and the really hot stuff is sent using an entirely separate network than POTS or even intra or inter banking data.

FWIW my broker uses an encryption package that is customised for each client that is equivalent to a 512 rotor WW2 Enigma machine though the WW2 machine only had eight (in the case of the Kriegmarine beast)

Actually if anyone wanted to have a secure link between themselves and (say) their mistress there's lots of free applications that claim strong encryption - but I digress!

In any case most telecoms network nodes as well as kiddie phones, network interface plant and now even a lot of fibre is manufactured and even designed in the East and on that basis there's much more credibility to the opinion that it's nothing other than commercial interests that are behind the American issue with Huawei.
Baz46

13-05-2019, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks for the link Baz, very interesting, I didn't have a clue....
I thought it must be about the speed, but it's so much more.
I just wonder that the more we get reliant on this high tech stuff the more we will suffer when it all goes t$ts up......and it will, as sure as eggs is eggs...
Me neither OldGreyFox, now that I do it's easier to understand the concerns. Also have a watch of Puddle Duck's link (post #14, or see below if you wish), that shows in detail what it's all about and what could happen if 5g was used in an economic war, or worse, if it was compromised in whatever way to shut down a country:

As we become more and more reliant on this high tech it will also become more of a disaster should someone exploit it. If some clever people can invent it then there's often someone equally clever who can use it for their own dubious purposes. Look at internet banking and how many people are losing money through that these days, and still it happens!
Baz46

13-05-2019, 11:36 AM

@Puddle Duck

Thanks for that, very interesting and so enlightening as to what the concerns are, especially as I also read other countries such as Australia and New Zealand also have these same concerns. Better safe than sorry in this case I would have thought. Those who work at GCHQ have concerns and doubts so we ought to take notice of them, they are the experts in this. What's the point in having those people if they are ignored? Too late if it's all installed to then find out it's possible to undermine a country as shown in that Click programme.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 11:56 AM

DId you watch the documentary about it, Bread ? A very revealing programme, and so much more than faster broadband !

As you say , China government insists on data being handed over.

There are already trials going on in Liverpool for this, and in the agricultural sector of the south west of the country. Plus a lot more places for different purposes I imagine.

It is VAST and is part of everything we do in life. Electric cars will be programmed to it, the street lights, signals. ail networks, everything and in one move or even error, the whole country could in the worst case scenario, be brought to a standstill, and become dysfunctional, ideal for taking out countries, and probably why US is so adamant we don't go the Chinese way !

Think if the implications, and I wonder if this is what Edward Snowden unearthed.... because whatever it was it affected all of us !

I wouldn't mind betting that the next move would be implants of computer chips at birth.. Seems ridiculous but ever more possible and a way they could control population too.

Found it. 25 minutes of enlightenment.

I didn't see it but thanks for the link. I'll have a look later after work.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 11:59 AM

I would not allow Huwawei to be part of our expanding telecommunications infrastructure, '5 Eyes' are against it and so are GCHQ and that is good enough for me.

I understand they are already involved in a minor degree but there should be it, no more.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top