Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 07:44 PM

Wotta risotto!

Purists would hold up their hands in horror but............

I have some risotto rice that expires next month, so I thought I should start using it up.

However, I have very little in the fridge in the way of fresh veg, etc., at the moment, so I thought I'd experiment.

I had garlic but no onions.
I had fresh asparagus.
I had fresh chervil.
I had halloumi cheese and Parmesan.

So.........
I gently softened the chopped garlic - 4 cloves, as no onion) in a little butter and olive oil, then added the rice, and proceeded to make the risotto as usual, using hot stock (veggie stock cube).

Meanwhile, I cut the asparagus into inch pieces and sautèed it gently in a little more olive oil.

When the rice was done, I stirred in the cooked asparagus, the diced halloumi, and the grated Parmesan, cooked it gently a little longer, to soften the halloumi, and then just before serving, I stirred in the chopped chervil.

And do you know, it was delicious!

Each ingredient had its own delicate flavour, but none was overpowering, so the overall effect was subtle but yummy!

Who needs recipes!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 07:46 PM

Re: Wotta risotto!

Cor Pyxell that sounds scrummy!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Cor Pyxell that sounds scrummy!
And I ate it all! Oink!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Purists would hold up their hands in horror but............

I have some risotto rice that expires next month, so I thought I should start using it up.

However, I have very little in the fridge in the way of fresh veg, etc., at the moment, so I thought I'd experiment.

I had garlic but no onions.
I had fresh asparagus.
I had fresh chervil.
I had halloumi cheese and Parmesan.

So.........
I gently softened the chopped garlic - 4 cloves, as no onion) in a little butter and olive oil, then added the rice, and proceeded to make the risotto as usual, using hot stock (veggie stock cube).
I'll

Meanwhile, I cut the asparagus into inch pieces and sautèed it gently in a little more olive oil.

When the rice was done, I stirred in the cooked asparagus, the diced halloumi, and the grated Parmesan, cooked it gently a little longer, to soften the halloumi, and then just before serving, I stirred in the chopped chervil.

And do you know, it was delicious!

Each ingredient had its own delicate flavour, but none was overpowering, so the overall effect was subtle but yummy!

Who needs recipes!
Ill pass in on to my dear wife if you don't mind.
Pyxell
South of England

27-05-2019, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Ill pass in on to my dear wife if you don't mind.
No probs!

(The invoice is in the post! )
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 08:08 PM

Pyxell, lt sounds lovely but with all that garlic, l hope you don’t intend snogging anyone tonight!
Pyxell
South of England

27-05-2019, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Pyxell, lt sounds lovely but with all that garlic, l hope you don’t intend snogging anyone tonight!
Fat chance! Hahahahahahaha!

There were no onions, you see!

Anyway, if there are two of you eating the risotto, it wouldn't matter!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 08:52 PM

sounds scrumptious Py, I can almost smell it too!

Like you I'm a throw together kinda person and it always works.

What is Chervil x
Pyxell
South of England

27-05-2019, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
sounds scrumptious Py, I can almost smell it too!

Like you I'm a throw together kinda person and it always works.

What is Chervil x
It's technically a herb, and looks like a small version of coriander leaf, but I eat it as a vegetable, either raw in salads, or chopped and added right at the end to other dishes.

Its flavour is subtle, like a cross between parsley, celery and a touch of anise, but all very delicate.

Don't be fooled by replacing the fresh stuff with the dried, chopped herb in jars, as the two versions are nothing like each other.

If you can't find it, you could use fresh coriander leaf instead, although the latter's flavour is stronger and its texture is tougher than that of chervil.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
It's technically a herb, and looks like a small version of coriander leaf, but I eat it as a vegetable, either raw in salads, or chopped and added right at the end to other dishes.

Its flavour is subtle, like a cross between parsley, celery and a touch of anise, but all very delicate.

Don't be fooled by replacing the fresh stuff with the dried, chopped herb in jars, as the two versions are nothing like each other.

If you can't find it, you could use fresh coriander leaf instead, although the latter's flavour is stronger and its texture is tougher than that of chervil.
Thank you for this. I'll look out for it x

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top