Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2012, 08:55 PM

"Lab burger" coming this fall

Would you make lab-grown meat a staple in your diet? Link to article.

A group of scientists at Maastricht University in the Netherlands has grown small pieces of muscle about 2 cm long, 1 cm wide and about 1 mm thick, BBC News is reporting. They are off-white and resemble strips of calamari in appearance. These strips will be mixed with blood and artificially grown fat to produce a hamburger...

Prof. Mark Post, who leads the team, estimates the cost of producing the hamburger will be around $300,000 but adds that "once the principle has been demonstrated, production techniques will be improved and costs will come down."

Post said he was even planning to ask British celebrity chef Heston Blumenthal to cook it.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2012, 09:01 PM

Re: "Lab burger" coming this fall

It sounds quite revolting to me!
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2012, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
It sounds quite revolting to me!
My thoughts too! If that were the only option left I'd be vegetarian.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2012, 09:18 PM

When they say 'the strips will be mixed with blood' ....... whose blood, what blood?
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

26-02-2012, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
When they say 'the strips will be mixed with blood' ....... whose blood, what blood?
I didn't even think of that..!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2012, 09:32 PM

I'll pass thanks...
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

26-02-2012, 09:35 PM

They're spending $300,000 on producing this, um, er, - what's the word I want here.....?
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2012, 09:43 PM

Why can't these scientists devote their time to curing diseases instead? How long will it be before we see what adverse effects this has on us. Not that I will even think of trying it......gross!
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2012, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
Would you make lab-grown meat a staple in your diet? Link to article.

A group of scientists at Maastricht University in the Netherlands has grown small pieces of muscle about 2 cm long, 1 cm wide and about 1 mm thick, BBC News is reporting. They are off-white and resemble strips of calamari in appearance. These strips will be mixed with blood and artificially grown fat to produce a hamburger...

Prof. Mark Post, who leads the team, estimates the cost of producing the hamburger will be around $300,000 but adds that "once the principle has been demonstrated, production techniques will be improved and costs will come down."

Post said he was even planning to ask British celebrity chef Heston Blumenthal to cook it.
It was on the news over here in the week and I cannot think of anything more revolting and its a shame they cannot put the money to curing diseases instead.
Bridgefield
South uk
Bridgefield is female  Bridgefield has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2012, 10:07 PM

They can ask Heston, Fanny Craddock or The Queen's chef, I still wouldn't try it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top