Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2012, 03:54 PM

Jams, Jellies and Chutneys

We have decided to take part in some of the County Fares and Food Shows this year. I have been making jams, jellies and chutneys for about seven years now and did well when I sold them on our street markets.

I am wondering if any of you have a favourite jam or chutney recipe that you would pass on.

I made some summer fruit jam yesterday, it was basically made with some frozen fruits that we had in the freezer, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, black & red currants and it was lovely. Hubs said it reminded him of the jam his gran used to make.

Then it occurred to me that lots of us have grans and mums who made stuff to remember.

My rhubarb and ginger jam was a big hit so is my strawberry, plum and blackcurrant.

This time around I have made some pineapple which is the most fiddly stuff I ever did but so worth the effort.

I have made mango chutney, rhubarb chutney and red tomato chutney and relish.

I know it's early to start but our first Food Show is in May at Ewood Park so it's jars jars and more jars and sweet jammy dreams.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2012, 04:32 PM

Re: Jams, Jellies and Chutneys

It sounds like the WI all over again,I used to like the WI,all singing Jerusalem to start off with.I was going to join here but it wasnt the same as Cabus WI.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2012, 05:11 PM

Cate darlin' is there a fair you're attending down this neck of the woods??? - I'll buy some of your jams and chutneys.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2012, 06:46 PM

No, UJ we are going local the longest journey for us will be to Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park. Then there is one at Scorton and one in Garstang and Eccleston. They are local but big. I love this sort of thing and when we sold in Silloth and Wigton Cumbria we had so much fun. Our biggest 'gig' was at Penrith which was a huge market but like all markets people are losing interest as they can buy things cheap in the shops or on line.

We decided to go to these shows as we do have a lovely selection of really lovely jams and chutneys that I have collected recipes for over the years and people going to farmers markets are looking for this kind of thing.

I do hope you can come up with a favourite jam or chutney. I have today concocted a rather nice grapefruit, ginger and orange marmalade. Tomorrow it will be more pineapple jam and during next week I hope to get hold of some rhubarb for chutney and rhubarb and ginger jam.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2012, 07:32 AM

Oh drat!!!! Was looking forward to tasting your produce too. The Grapefruit, ginger and orange marmalade sounds interesting, but regrettably am not allowed Grapefruit (on medical grounds) as there is something in it which impacts upon my rat poison (Warfarin) medication.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

05-04-2012, 09:29 AM

I have heard of that. I don't usually eat grapefruit but they had some for 33p in Aldi, I had some root ginger that needed using up and was about to make a batch of marmalade so thought lets give it a go. The pink grapefruit gave the whole thing a bright colour and this morning it looks like a really good set. Today I am hunting for rhubarb to make rhubarb and ginger jam and my famous rhubarb chutney.

I also got four more pineapples to make some more pineapple jam as tasters tell me it is lovely. Still on my diet of course so am relying on tasters at the moment.

Disappointed that no one on the Over fifties forum has any recipes or ideas. However, if not many people make the stuff then I should be able to sell it as I know lots of people particularly men even young men like homemade stuff. Reminds them of their mum or more likely gran.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2012, 12:03 AM

I've never made jam, Cate My mother used to make her own but it was always the 'straight' fruit variety eg apricot, strawberry, plum or blackcurrant. I'm afraid I never followed in her footsteps, wish I had given it a try though
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

06-04-2012, 08:07 AM

Back in the 50s us kids(my sisters and I) used to go picking blackberries from the hedgerows and fields around our house. We'd bring them back and Dragon used to make Blackberry jam, stewed blackberries and Blackberry pie. Heady days.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

06-04-2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I've never made jam, Cate My mother used to make her own but it was always the 'straight' fruit variety eg apricot, strawberry, plum or blackcurrant. I'm afraid I never followed in her footsteps, wish I had given it a try though
Truth is Mags, jam making is not the black art that the ladies of the WI would have you believe. If you can follow an easy recipe you can make jam. As long as you have your trusty thermometer you can't go wrong.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2012, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
Truth is Mags, jam making is not the black art that the ladies of the WI would have you believe. If you can follow an easy recipe you can make jam. As long as you have your trusty thermometer you can't go wrong.
To be honest, I rarely eat jam as I find it too sweet, now marmalade is something I would eat at anytime ...... I like something with a bit of a bite to it.

I did try fig jam when I saw it for the first time, I found it very pleasant but not something I would crave for.

Good luck with your jam and chutney making Cate, I'm sure it will sell well for you.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top