Join for free
Page 11 of 11 « First < 9 10 11
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2013, 06:02 PM

Re: Jams, Jellies and Chutneys

Thanks mesco we are as proud as punch.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2013, 09:18 PM

We put five of our products into the festival as I have already said (i am boring everyone) I won the silver for the lemon bronze for the lemon/orange (St.Clements) just discovered that my own baby OLA a breakfast jelly made of Apple, Orange and Lemon won a commendatio. It is hard work and quite tricky to get right so I was thrilled. I also got a commendation for my Seville Orange Marmalade.

So silly we entered my favourtie orange, grapefruit and ginger and didn't get anyithing. Which plays on my mind most????? Correct. What was wrong with my OGG?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2013, 08:09 AM

Cate darlin' - I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it - just the judges, taste buds.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

06-03-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Cate darlin' - I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it - just the judges, taste buds.
Joe, I am being absolutely daft. I only expected maybe one commendation from this very important festival so I am walking on air.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2013, 02:56 PM

I remember years ago having a glut of green tomatoes and so made some green tomato chutney, unfortunately forget the recipe but am sure it will be on-line somewhere. On the subject of jams etc, being type II I use sugar free or reduced sugar varieties and wonder why is it that sometimes, once the jam/marmalade has been started, a little pool of liquid forms in the jar? Is it because of the reduced sugar?
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

06-03-2013, 04:19 PM

I'm afraid I couldn't answer that with certainty but I would think so. To get a good set it is important to get the right amount of fruit to jam. You boil the two together until it reaches 105c and if you have it right then the jam will set and be jammy and will stay jammy in your jar.

If you use pectins or other setting agents to 'set' your jam then you will find that after the air has got to the jam it will beging to melt and instead of being jammy it will be runny.

I do not believe in sugar free or reduced sugar jam as if you study the label you will find many hidden sugars and additives. My husband is also type two diabetes sufferer but he swears that if you eat a good extra jam that is more fruit to sugar ratio the taste is so good you don't need so much and you reduce your own sugars.

Anything ending in ose on the label such as fructose, sucrose are in fact sugar these products should be eaten with care particularly by diabetics.

Sugar is sugar and although it is not healthy it is honest it preserves and makes things taste nice. I cannot say this about artificial sweetners.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2013, 01:06 PM

I enjoy making some of the more unsusal jams, pickles etc.. often from forraged berries etc..

Sloe & apple jelly is excellent as is Rowan jelly. Elderberry pickle is great with meats such as gammon. Clementine marmalade is very easy to make and has a vibrant orange colour.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

11-03-2013, 08:24 PM

There are some great ideas there Grumblewagon. Don't do much forraging these days with me knees but I must say the idea of the Elderberry pickle methinks I may have to get some younger forragers interested.

Page 11 of 11 « First < 9 10 11

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top