Join for free
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2012, 04:20 PM

Re: Jams, Jellies and Chutneys

Oh my goodness you really are throwing yourself into this jam making business. Good for you!! I think of you whenever I see homemade jam for sale. There definitely seems to be a market for it Banana jam!! Now that's a first surely Its good that you can get fruit from the local greengrocer.

I've left my plum and damson trees intact specially for you, as was going to get rid of some of them, as have way toooo many! As for the crab apples sorry the birds have already put their order in
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2012, 05:58 PM

I was talking to someone the other day and she said that she wished she could make jam. I told her that if you could read a recipe you could make jam, chutney or marmalade. I do agree there is a lot of chopping, peeling, stirring going on but it is worth it. Even taking the skin off of tommies is worth it in the end.

I know you cooki Uncle Joe and I know you read recipes so why don't you have a try. I made the best tasting beetroot chutney ever last week. It did take a lot of messing around cooking the beetroot, peeling the beetroot and then chopping the beetroot, onions, apples etc. BUT the product was lovely, a real earthy beetroot fruitiness which was much appreciated by those given a taster.

If you fancy making anything give me a shout and I will be happy to give encouragement. I will even pass on my secrets if you promise not to tell.

It is very satisfactory turning fruit and veg into jars of deliciousness.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2012, 08:38 AM

Cate darlin' - I would love to be able to make my own jams and preserves, but regrettably there are some practical considerations which prevent me from doing so:

1. I have no garden or access to a garden - this prevents me from growing my own fruit and vegetables.

2. Mobility problems prevent me from walking out in the country and collecting fruit from the hedgerows (I used to do this and make my own country wines).

3. I don't have spare jam jars, nor any place in my small pad to store them if they did become available, nor a place to put them if they were filled.

4. The wide variety of fruits and vegetables which are seemingly available to you, are not so widely available or plentiful in this neck of the woods. What is available is as or more expensive than purchasing jams and preserves from the supermarket.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2012, 03:44 PM

I know what you mean UJ but my greengrocer gave me a box of tommies the other day because they were not good enough for salad eating but when washed and picked and cut they made good chutney. My friend who is in his late sixties and suffers with 'getting older itis' makes his own tommy chutney at puts it in one kilner jar in a cupboard in his small kitchen.

We don't grow our own stuff yet but the greengrocer on the market and shop is always glad to give stuff away rather than throw it just because it isn't at it's A1 best hence my nectarines and beetroot.

I buy onions from Aldi and believe it or not a lot of their fruit is cheaper than going to a wholesaler.

Today I made apricot jam, more hamburger relish and some orange, grapefruit and ginger marmalade.

Tomorrow we are taking MIL for a hospital visit so probably won't be doing much.

I must also confess that a lot of my time is spent sitting on a stool stirring, chopping or peeling.

I know it is a lot of fuss and trouble just for one pot of preserve or jam but it is lip smacking good.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2012, 10:46 PM

Have you finished with all your chutneys and preserves now Cookie? I enjoy reading what you are making next.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

02-05-2012, 11:49 AM

Been very productive for the last two weeks. Made some really nice jam including a cosmopolitan marmalade, orange, cranberry, and lime. A nice little smoothie number made with bananas, strawberries and orange juice and a strawberry margarita with a shot of tequila.

This week is more chutney rhubarb which is now quite cheap in Aldi, makes a nice hot and fruity chutney, I spent most of yesterday chopping dates, carrots, swedes, apples and onions making a farmer's delight type pickle.

Today is back to rhubarb and ginger and a very posh Cumberland sauce with port and cranberries (left over from the marmalade)

In the next few weeks I shall be making Cumberland butter, with dark brown sugar, un-salted butter and dark Caribbean rum. My favourite lemon, orange and strawberry curd and some red cabbage pickle cos we are going to Blackburn for the first show.

Have a look at the web site of the show we will be attending it is being organised by Nigel Haworth and you can find it on www.fantasticfoodshow.com
Really getting excited now although my kitchen aid food processor has gone on strike and my back and arthritic knee are pleading to the referee for some justice.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2012, 06:02 PM

My word, you have been busy and all sounds delicious too.
Good luck with the show.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

02-05-2012, 06:36 PM

Thanks mesco for your good luck. I really need it. I am quite confident that my jams are good but it is quite a big step for me. I must admit to getting tired now too. Made some interesting sauce today a lady asked for Cumberland Sauce but I thought it would be good with cranberries so I have called it cranberland sauce.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2012, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
Thanks mesco for your good luck. I really need it. I am quite confident that my jams are good but it is quite a big step for me. I must admit to getting tired now too. Made some interesting sauce today a lady asked for Cumberland Sauce but I thought it would be good with cranberries so I have called it cranberland sauce.
So how many jars and bottles of goodies do you think you have made all together, Cate?
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

03-05-2012, 03:24 PM

Well I have bought and used 100kilos of sugar from Tesco plus some brown sugars that I use for chutneys. I can only guess but our spare room is looking full.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top