Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 05:59 PM

Re: Have You Heard Of A ‘Secret Cinema’?

If it was Steampunk it would be "War of the Worlds" or an HG Wells film, something worthwhile tsk!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Pretentious! Moi?
Sorry ...... my meaning may not be clear .....

Steampunk itself is not pretentious, but when it's sold, at an exhorbitant price*, by "storytellers, inventors, explorers, place-makers, cultural entrepreneurs, film fans fuelled by a desire to fill the void left by an over-saturated technological world" (sic) then that concept, IMO, is pretentious.

* AFAIK, prices for entrance range from £50-100 the food and drink can double that, while the audience are not guaranteed (sometimes not even told) what submersive experiences they will be part of.
Ragdoll
Surrey,UK
Ragdoll is female  Ragdoll has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 06:45 PM

We use to have one around here Artangel in an disused BT Offices, and after they would come into our Local still dressed, although it wasn't a film being shown, the people would receive the theme of the evening, in your case R & J, and those attending would dress for that theme, and play act for a couple of hours. They where all lovely young people, and some of the outfits delightful, us 'Oldies' got to know them, and played at guessing the film/book/TV, by their outfits, and who had come as who. They seem to really enjoy themselves.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
My daughter and her friends are going to a ‘Secret Cinema’ on Friday. It is Shakespeare’s, Romeo And Juliet.

I wondered, if any of you know what a Secret Cinema is and have you been to one?

I understand they are very popular and cost about £50 to attend.

If it cost fifty quid I'd expect to be sat on the balcony with Juliet.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ragdoll ->
We use to have one around here Artangel in an disused BT Offices, and after they would come into our Local still dressed, although it wasn't a film being shown, the people would receive the theme of the evening, in your case R & J, and those attending would dress for that theme, and play act for a couple of hours. They where all lovely young people, and some of the outfits delightful, us 'Oldies' got to know them, and played at guessing the film/book/TV, by their outfits, and who had come as who. They seem to really enjoy themselves.
Ragdoll, it does sound similar but l have asked my daughter to clarify what she is going to?

She said, It’s an open air cinema type thing. They create an area based on scenes in the film. She and others will dress up and watch the film there.

Omah described it as the same.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
If it cost fifty quid I'd expect to be sat on the balcony with Juliet.
...and a banquet and be waited on!

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top