Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 09:50 AM

Re: Bread /Apples

I often (but won't anymore) buy a Mediterranean bread from my local Co-op. it's £1.59, contains things like bits of tomato and olives (probably), but the latest one went hard by the next day.

Used to buy tomato infused bread from Hovis but they've stopped making it, and I'd finish the loaf. Nowadays a loaf stales before I've finished it, according to its size. (Only ever get small).

The shop across the road sells a small Kingsmill for 99p...expensive, but it's always lovely and fresh, and I'll eat all slices.

Only now I've cleared out the freezer have I room for long term storage.

There are free apples over the allotment, so waiting for them.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sableline ->
I have noticed for a while now that when I buy bread from my local supermarket and other supermarkets, although it is within three days of it's sell by date it is already going stale around the edges.

I love apples and although they look nice, I find that they have started to rot under the skin. I love apple sarnie's and they help to keep the weight off as an apple sarnie is a meal on it's own.

Doe's anyone else have these problems?

Rotten apples- stale bread yuk
Apple sarnies, never heard of them before , they sound quite lovely, must try one.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 07:51 AM

Tell you what is tasty...cheese, apple and walnut.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 02:16 PM

I'll tell you what I saw in M & S this morning, Cheese & Apple rolls. That surprised me.
Which reminds me, why oh why does 99% of ready made sarnies or rolls have mayonnaise, or some sort of gungy spread splattered all over it?
I don't often buy ready-mades, but if I do fancy one when I'm out, I end up having to go without because I can't bear all that stuff leaking out of it. I don't even like the smell of mayonnaise. Aagh.

In Tesco's once, a long time ago, I found one that said "No mayo". Wonderful I thought, and bought it. When I bit into it, there was all this white 'slimey' stuff oozing out. I looked on the label's ingredients, and was stunned to see 'Yoghurt' listed - on a Cheese & Tom. sandwich.
It turned out, they either use mayo or yoghurt to keep the bread moist!
I like yoghurt and eat a lot of it, but I don't want it stuck in me sarnie. Grr.
What's wrong with good old fashioned butter to keep the bread moist?
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 02:28 PM

yes agree 'most breads from s/markets do go stale 'are we using foreign flour ? but putting it in the fridge does help ...years ago throw it in the bread bin lasts all week .....greek bread goes off quick too '
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Tell you what is tasty...cheese, apple and walnut.
That is , I always have apples[granny Smith usually,as quite tart]walnuts and grapes with our cheese boards at Christmas.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sableline ->
it is already going stale around the edges. . . .

Doe's anyone else have these problems?
Nope.

I make all my own bread using just 4 ingredients, flour, water, salt, yeast.

Steer clear of supermarket and other commercial breads imo. They are loaded with additives and chemicals. Some time ago, it was highlighted that the only supermarket that actually MADE their own fresh bread was Tesco. The others, who may APPEAR to be making fresh bread, are in fact using frozen bread which is then baked through in the supermarket giving that tantalising cooked bread smell and giving the impression that they are a bakery. It's a clever con.

If you need to assure yourself note the following.

1. It takes hours to make a good volume of bread and have it on shelves first thing in the morning. Bakeries thus have to start work at 3am or similar to achieve this. Go see if anyone is going into the store at that kind of time.

2. To make large volume of bread you have to have large dough mixers to mix the dough. Look into the bakery section of your supermarket and see if you can see one or more large floor standing mixers. Most likely all you will see are racks for the bread products and ovens where they heat the frozen bread.

Bread that is made "properly" by which I mean with the 4 core ingredients and long fermented, will naturally last many days and even when it starts to feel dry and hard can be simply warmed in the oven to restore its bounce.

Most supermarket bread is, imo, very unhealthy. Check the label and read the ingredients and do so in the knowledge that the ONLY ingredients needed to make great tasting healthy bread are flour, water, salt and yeast.

Making your own bread is an absolute doddle, very satisfying and fills the house with the most incredible aroma. The myths that making bread is hard, time consuming, involves copious amount of vigorous kneading are all untrue. Everyone should make their own imo.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-YEAR-old.html
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 08:34 PM

Why don't you freeze your bread like I do? If it's unsliced I slice it first and just take out however many slices I need. Same with rolls, and they're as good as newly bought when thawed.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by toffee ->
yes agree 'most breads from s/markets do go stale 'are we using foreign flour ? but putting it in the fridge does help ...years ago throw it in the bread bin lasts all week .....greek bread goes off quick too '
On the recent food programme they said putting bread in the fridge makes it go stale quicker! Apparently it does something to the starch which hardens the bread. So not recommended.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 10:38 PM

I think it depends which bread you buy, some with lots of extra ingredients which read like a list of lab chemicals will stay fresh for 10 days or so.

The supermarkets are now selling more bread made on the premises or brought in each day which is meant for eating on the day.

Like a lot of people said the best way to have fresh bread is to slice it and and keep in in the freezer, taking a couple of slices out at a time or alternatively make your own.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top